Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK
Authors: David Mark, Jack Nutting, Jeff LaMarche
Published on: Jan 27, 2011
Price (New): $4.09 US
Read the iDevGames review of this book.
Beginning iPhone 4 Development is here! The authors of the bestselling Beginning iPhone 3 Development are back, with the same excellent material completely updated for iOS 4 and written from the ground up using the latest version of Apple's Xcode 3. All source code has been updated to use the latest Xcode templates and current APIs, and all-new screenshots show Xcode 3 in action.
Beginning iPhone 4 Development is a complete course in iOS 4 apps development. You’ll master techniques that work on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. We start with the basics, showing you how to download and install the tools you'll need, and how to create your first simple application. Next you’ll learn to integrate all the interface elements iOS users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You’ll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you’ll learn techniques to save and retrieve your data using SQLite, iPhone’s built-in database management system and Core Data, the standard for persistence that Apple brought to iOS with the release of SDK 3.
And there’s much more! You’ll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. You’ll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages. You'll also learn how to use the new concurrency APIs included in iOS 4, and make robust multithreaded applications using Grand Central Dispatch.
- The iPhone 4 update to the best-selling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
- Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style
- Full of useful tips and techniques to help you become an iOS pro
NOTE: For iPhone 4S or iOS 5 apps development, please instead check out the next edition of this book, Beginning iOS 5 Development - now available.
What you’ll learn
- Everything you need to know to develop your own best-selling iPhone and iPad apps
- Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
- How to create “universal” apps for both iPhone and iPad
Who this book is for
Anyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
You can discover more about this book, download source code, and find support forums at the book's companion site, at www.iphonedevbook.com.
Table of Contents
- Welcome to the Jungle
- Appeasing the Tiki Gods
- Handling Basic Interaction
- More User Interface Fun
- Autorotation and Autosizing
- Multiview Applications
- Tab Bars and Pickers
- Introduction to Table Views
- Navigation Controllers and Table Views
- iPad Considerations
- Application Settings and User Defaults
- Basic Data Persistence
- Grand Central Dispatch, Background Processing, and You
- Drawing with Quartz and OpenGL
- Taps, Touches, and Gestures
- Where Am I? Finding Your Way with Core Location
- Whee! Gyro and Accelerometer!
- iPhone Camera and Photo Library
- Application Localization
- Where to Next?