iDevGames Forums
Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone (/thread-10476.html)

Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - femmedragon - Dec 12, 2012 08:27 PM

Hi!

I've been doing several graphics for an iphone videogame, I use Illustrator, in my imac the colors look as I want them, but when testing on iphone the colors look too dull and nothing bright, someone has any idea how to solve this problem? I would really appreciate it,

in advance, thanks

Smile

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - OneSadCookie - Dec 13, 2012 03:31 PM

Color profiles are the usual cause of this kind of insanity. You'll need to find out from the programmer whether the method they're using to load the texture and display it is respecting any embedded color profiles, or assuming anything, and coax illustrator into behaving compatibly.

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - SethWillits - Dec 14, 2012 11:12 AM

Hmm. The fact that I can't find a single bit of documentation on the display profile is interesting.

If a couple assumptions are true, then CGBitmapContextGetColorSpace -> CGColorSpaceCopyICCProfile and opening the profile on your Mac could be interesting. I no longer have an iOS developer account so I can't do any device testing myself.

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - BeyondCloister - Dec 15, 2012 09:56 AM

Just as a side comment on this, every single one of my iOS devices (iPod touch, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad 3) running the same app straight from Xcode all have the same image appearing at different brightness levels. This would indicate that you are aiming at a moving target from your iMac in the first place.

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - SethWillits - Dec 15, 2012 10:52 AM

Everybody runs their laptops and screens at different brightness too. That's to be expected, but the effect of brightness comes after the color matching process.

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - femmedragon - Dec 16, 2012 04:05 PM

Thanks to all for your response, I haven´t been able to solve this issue, I´m testing in an iphone 4, and I have found other people that have the same problem and it seems that the color saturation problem is solved in the iphone 5 and the ipad 3, so what I´m going to do is try tio find a color that looks as best as possible in the oldest devices and stop worrying about the new ones

thanks again Smile

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - SethWillits - Dec 16, 2012 07:37 PM

I wouldn't say it's "solved." It's just different and happens to be more like what you'd expect. That doesn't mean the iPhone 6 wouldn't be different.

From inside of a UIView's drawRect: do UIGraphicsGetCurrentContext* -> CGBitmapContextGetColorSpace -> CGColorSpaceCopyICCProfile, and then save the data returned and upload it somewhere. Bonus points for doing this on two different devices.

*It hopefully is actually a bitmap context and thus allows the rest of it to work.

RE: Problem with the graphics color on a videogame for iphone - watsonalia - Today 04:15 AM

DJG discovers The Red Solstice with Hrvoje Horvatek, faces the Creative Clash with Ryan & Smoker, puts Nick Bratt under The MicrobeScope, and explores the Catacombs with Aron West of Elzra Games.
You can find more detail of this episode at DJ Grandpa’s Crib!
In this show you know more about game development..
[Image: djg600x.png]