iDevGames Forums
One ideea for iphone - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Design (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: One ideea for iphone (/thread-1411.html)

One ideea for iphone - icross - Apr 22, 2009 02:14 PM

I want to start a project, called iphone strategy game, I want to make a multiplayer game for iphone, like warcraft 3. Unfortunatly I don't know very well any programming language, so if someone wants to help me, just snd a PM or post here.
Thank you

One ideea for iphone - AnotherJake - Apr 22, 2009 02:55 PM

It's not impossible, but it won't be easy!

1) Download and install the iPhone SDK from Apple for free. (Okay, well that's easy...)
2) Learn C
3) Learn a little bit of Objective-C
4) Learn how to use OpenGL ES
5) Learn how to do networking for multiplayer games
6) Endless odds and ends tying it all together and other stuff like graphics

The standard advice is to get to the point where you can make Tic Tac Toe or Pong and you'll be well on your way. Smile

One ideea for iphone - Oddity007 - Apr 22, 2009 03:30 PM

AnotherJake Wrote:...
The standard advice is to get to the point where you can make Tic Tac Toe or Pong and you'll be well on your way. Smile

Or take my route and jump to making a basic MORPG Smile with flash 8!
Disclaimer: Oddity007 makes no statement that this is the best beginner project for anyone other than himself, for others it will just hurt to make.

One ideea for iphone - AnotherJake - Apr 22, 2009 03:55 PM

It should be noted that Flash is not available for iPhone... yet.

One ideea for iphone - Oddity007 - Apr 22, 2009 05:39 PM

I meant in general game dev, but if a VM was supported by Apple it would be Java first.
AS3 is essentially Java, just with the concept of more embedability.

One ideea for iphone - AnotherJake - Apr 22, 2009 06:05 PM

I've read negative comments from Apple equally about Flash and Java, so I'm not sure I could agree that they'd prefer either. Apple's stance so far seems to be that there isn't room enough on the iPhone for them to support *any* VM-based environment at all. I personally think there would be more interest by the community in Flash on the iPhone rather than Java.

One ideea for iphone - DevelopInSeattle - May 3, 2009 03:56 PM

when will flash be available? Sad Life would be so much easier and happier with flash!

One ideea for iphone - kodex - May 3, 2009 06:27 PM

DevelopInSeattle Wrote:when will flash be available? Sad Life would be so much easier and happier with flash!

Flash is truly awful, with any luck it will never make it to the iPhone and will soon be purged from OS X as well.

One ideea for iphone - daveh84 - Jul 21, 2009 09:36 AM

kodex Wrote:Flash is truly awful, with any luck it will never make it to the iPhone and will soon be purged from OS X as well.

amen to that.

It seems that flash's implementation on Mac OS X is lazy and unoptimized, as it is not only a memory leak factory, but frame rate / performance is significantly and noticeably worse than on a PC with similar hardware.

WTF adobe?

One ideea for iphone - Bachus - Jul 21, 2009 01:41 PM

kodex Wrote:Flash is truly awful, with any luck it will never make it to the iPhone and will soon be purged from OS X as well.

Hear hear.

I'm willing to put even money that Flash will *never* be on the iPhone. Adobe can't do it without Apple, and Apple doesn't want it. It's a shitty technology that's being phased out with the likes of HTML5.

One ideea for iphone - filfil96 - Jul 22, 2009 04:08 AM

Anyways we came from trying to answer a newbie question to talking about Flash on the iPhone / iPod Touch. Heh. Anyway I'll try and answer this question a little bit more detailed. Ok here goes:

-Ok icross so you want to make something like warcraft 3 right? Ok that's what everyone wants to do (So, at least u r normal. Heh) So yeah anyway this is the stuff you'll need (AnotherJake pretty much answered it):

-The iPhone SDK (Which you can get at Apple.com)
-Then google some C Tutorials (This is optional) (http://www.cprogramming.com)
-Learn Objective-C (I'm sorry but i can't give you any links because I haven't found any so far.)
-Learn OpenGL ES (No links here, sorry)
-Make something like "Pong" or "Tetris" or something simple like that and then release it to the App store (If you make a "Tetris" game and you release it to the App Store there's only one problem: it can't have "tris" in it, the makers of Tetris have copyrighted it)
-Make something a little bit harder like, Mario Bros. that'll get you up with some decent knowledge.
-When you have a GREAT amount of programming knowledge THEN make the game you want to make. You might also want to get a partner and have him/her help you. NOTE: This WILL take a LOT of time and will give you a hole bunch of head-aches.

So bottomline: Don't try to tackle something ENORMOUS before you even have some knowledge of C at least.

Good Luck with your game! It's a annoying, boring and long road ahead of you and the game you want to make!

One ideea for iphone - IckyThump - Jul 30, 2009 07:52 AM

There's a post in this section, advising you not to start with with an MMORPG as a first project, due to experience, budget, team and other issues. I know wc3 is not an MMORPG but it surely does require the same.

Furthermore it is not enough to read some Tutorials to learn C or Objective-C. If you want to master them, well-planned Software-Projects should be realized before starting to program a real-time strategy game. Once you have achieved this, learning OpenGL for ES is just the same amount of effort needed.

I don't want to blow any dreams here, but being realistic is also necessary. Some of my first projects went down the drain, just because I had to learn to start with little things first.

Anyway, against all the pessimism, Wink , it is possible with a lot of time and work.

One ideea for iphone - Andy65 - Aug 12, 2009 08:35 PM

icross Wrote:I want to start a project, called iphone strategy game, I want to make a multiplayer game for iphone, like warcraft 3. Unfortunatly I don't know very well any programming language, so if someone wants to help me, just snd a PM or post here.
Thank you

Designing an app game is really a challenge, especially for those who are beginners when it comes to programming. I would suggest for you to first check out sites or articles for designing app games, sometimes they include information they used when creating the game/app. I ran across this 20 killer iphone article at http://bit.ly/yvz1U and I believe it will be a good start for you.

Anyway, good luck and I do hope that you'll be successful.

Andy~