iDevGames Forums
First fruits of contest winnings - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Contests (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: First fruits of contest winnings (/thread-1532.html)

Pages: 1 2

First fruits of contest winnings - stevejohnson - Mar 29, 2009 07:36 PM

I just spent the evening playing around with Cheetah3D. I don't like its modeling tools much, but it imports .obj files from Wings3D, so I can just make my models in Wings3D and texture/animate them in Cheetah3D.

As a first project, I made a simplistic verison Calvin's "gw0rp brain" unit and animated it in the program. I wasn't able to make materials animate - I would have liked to have the transparency of the sphere change over time - but I was able to get a satisfactory effect with simple scaling.

The results:
[Image: gw0rpcore.gif]
The gray parts need a better texture, and it could use some more detail, but it's a start. I can't wait to see what modo is capable of.

As far as I know, only Cheetah3D has actually been distributed by the sponsors, but when they do finally come in, you guys should let us know what you think.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Screenflick came in because Seth is awesome.

First fruits of contest winnings - FlamingHairball - Mar 29, 2009 07:47 PM

Hmm...

Last I checked, you can animate material properties. Make sure you have the little 'P' icon set to glow blue(lower left corner of window).

So far, I've received:
Videator
Screenflick

I plan to demo them both when I get a chance, and post a review then(can't really say much about it right now)

First fruits of contest winnings - stevejohnson - Mar 29, 2009 08:00 PM

Hairball183 Wrote:Last I checked, you can animate material properties. Make sure you have the little 'P' icon set to glow blue(lower left corner of window).
Thanks, Lincoln! I haven't been able to find any decent documentation yet, so this was a big help.

First fruits of contest winnings - stevejohnson - Mar 30, 2009 03:00 PM

Image updated with a few modifications.

Modo and Layout Center came in today.

First fruits of contest winnings - FlamingHairball - Mar 30, 2009 03:13 PM

That looks nice; can we get a sized-up version?

And I received Carrara(have yet to try it out Smile)

First fruits of contest winnings - mattness - Mar 30, 2009 04:59 PM

I got Cheetah yesterday and have played around with it some. It has a nice simple interface, but its missing a number of features that I'd like. Good news is the Dev is real responsive, and seems committed to expanding it. I emailed him about one feature (camera path import and export) because I saw it on the wish list forum and he emailed me back saying he'd look into it if I can send him some test files. Planning on doing that from work tomorrow.

First fruits of contest winnings - FlamingHairball - Mar 31, 2009 05:49 AM

@mattness: Did you get Cinema4D as well?

I demoed Carrara a bit this morning, and it looks really nice. It has tons of stuff that Cheetah doesn't(particle emitters, physics, terrains, hair etc), and the interface is actually quite a bit better than I expected.

Silo also looks great(got that this morning). Focusing on modeling rather than everything makes it a whole lot easier to pick up.

Power Game Factory also came in.

diordna Wrote:I can't wait to see what modo is capable of.

Be sure to post about it when you do; I'd like to see as well. Smile

First fruits of contest winnings - mattness - Mar 31, 2009 07:02 PM

@Hairball Sadly no. I got bait and switched by the Unity mix up fallout. I think Ben Mildren ended up getting it. I hope he uses it to add a cool avatar to Chasm Bowling.

Also got my iphone dev ebook yesterday. It looks like what I need to start dipping my toes in the water of Objective C and iphone dev... Now I just need to find the time.

First fruits of contest winnings - stevejohnson - Mar 31, 2009 07:28 PM

Silo has turned out to be a fantastic modeling tool, but its UV tools seem completely screwy* and its .obj export makes Wings3D crash. Other than that, I love its interface, documentation (user-made tutorials), and active community.

Perhaps I'll do better with modo.

*Edit: I'm changing my verdict on Silo's UV tools from 'completely screwy' to 'completely awesome with some caveats.' My model was messed up.

First fruits of contest winnings - pinguoren - Apr 1, 2009 01:02 AM

mattness Wrote:I got bait and switched by the Unity mix up fallout. I think Ben Mildren ended up getting it.

It did end up on my list but I haven't heard from the company yet. I am hoping to get it soon and have already watched many of the tutorials that they have online. It is a bummer about the whole mix-up and that it effected other people. Sad
I got Power Game Factory yesterday and spent some time using it with my kids today. My son is pretty excited about making stuff in it.

First fruits of contest winnings - mattness - Apr 1, 2009 03:36 PM

pinguoren Wrote:It is a bummer about the whole mix-up and that it effected other people. Sad

No hard feelings. I'd probably use C4D more at work than for my personal game dev anyway, so if it turns out I need it for a project at work, I'll try to talk my boss into buying it. I am curious to hear about your experiences with it though. I hope you get it soon, and you choose to review it.

Cheers,

-Matt

First fruits of contest winnings - tcIgnatius - Apr 1, 2009 08:28 PM

I've received:
Guitar Hero 3 (totally rocks Wow)
The Apollo Symphony Orchestra Greatest Hits (I had to download every track individually off of their website in WAV format Rolleyes, ugh... beautiful music though! Love)
REALbasic Professional (very nice, although I've decided to port Syntropy over to C++, I still plan to use it for tool development and fast prototyping Cool)

I'm still waiting on InstallBuilder along with my subscription to MacTech.

First fruits of contest winnings - FlamingHairball - Apr 2, 2009 06:12 AM

Got OmniFocus yesterday; all that's left is an X-Arcade Trackball Controller, GamingBaboons, and Frogames.
Did I mention that Silo is awesome?

First fruits of contest winnings - stevejohnson - Apr 2, 2009 07:14 AM

I think Lincoln and I are pretty much Silo-smitten at this point.

Here is a taste of the upcoming "Steve's Spaxesheeps" public domain content pack:
[Image: ship_2.png]

See what I mean about the awesome UV tools? You just have to be careful your model is kosher. It's actually relatively easy to mess it up - if you extrude an edge loop instead of faces, you'll actually get a copy of the edges and it will mess with things. As long as you're careful about that one thing, there shouldn't be any problems.

First fruits of contest winnings - FlamingHairball - Apr 2, 2009 09:18 AM

Yup; I have already messed up several times trying to extrude and then doing something wrong, and leaving a polygon there that shouldn't be there.

Sweet ship. Did you have to map out the UV coords yourself or was that automatic?