iDevGames Forums
Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? (/thread-1958.html)

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - Najdorf - Jan 4, 2009 02:03 PM

I got the impression that video recording apps for mac are not as good as say Fraps to smoothly record games, is it so? What's my best bet?

So far i take a screenshot every frame (then bind them up with quicktime) but this doesn't work for sound.

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - kodex - Jan 4, 2009 02:27 PM

If your current method works for the video you might consider wiretap or something for recording the audio at the same time. Other then that I can't really make a recommendation, not a ton of experience recording.

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - SethWillits - Jan 4, 2009 04:36 PM

The experimental version of Screenflick I have can record full screen 1680x1050 UT2k4 at 50 fps on my Mac Pro. I don't have a version of it you can use yet, though.

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - Najdorf - Jan 4, 2009 05:22 PM

It would be enough to record a 640x480 game at 30fps, suggestions Seth?

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - DoG - Jan 5, 2009 03:24 AM

Screenflick is fine, as you really don't need more than 15-20fps for a web clip, unless you want it to be huge-ish.

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - ThemsAllTook - Jan 5, 2009 06:35 AM

DoG Wrote:Screenflick is fine, as you really don't need more than 15-20fps for a web clip, unless you want it to be huge-ish.

Or want it not to look completely crap...

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - SethWillits - Jan 5, 2009 12:48 PM

If you lower the resolution and record it at 640x480 in a window on a decently fast machine, Screenflick should do OK. It really depends on how crazy the content of the movie will be. Make sure you turn on "Optimize for: Speed" in Preferences and tick the slider up to around at least Level 2.

Video recording app capable of recording opengl games smooothly? - monteboyd - Jan 8, 2009 07:59 AM

A pro version of Jing has just been released which is supposed to be able to capture full motion video. It has a yearly subscription fee. I haven't tried the pro version though.