iDevGames Forums
OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app (/thread-2131.html)

OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - Malarkey - Nov 18, 2008 06:42 PM

Okay, so I have a bug that perplexes me and I hope I'm going to explain it correctly. I have an application that's running in a full screen OpenGL context that leaves behind garbage on the screen when it exits on one of my test machines, a G4 using an ATI card (my other G4's don't exhibit this problem and are running nVidia cards). The "garbage" appears to be random data written to video memory and is "fixed" if I move windows around like an eraser. Has anyone ever encountered this before? It's not a show-stopping bug but it is something I'd like to fix.

OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - AnotherJake - Nov 19, 2008 12:57 AM

That sounds like a driver bug.

OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - OneSadCookie - Nov 19, 2008 01:55 AM

Did you capture the displays?

OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - bmantzey - Nov 19, 2008 11:24 AM

Throw a clear call in your destructor?

OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - Malarkey - Nov 19, 2008 12:50 PM

@AnotherJake: Yeah, that's what we were thinking around here too. Doing a search for G4 ATI driver update didn't turn up anything useful, though.

@OSC: Displays are captured before doing anything with the display mode setting.

Well, after poking around a bit more, I found that if I call clearDrawable and clear the current OpenGL context before I set the display mode back to its original state when exiting that it stops the problem from occurring on the test machine I was using.

OpenGL full screen mode leaves garbage on screen when exiting app - Malarkey - Nov 19, 2008 12:51 PM

bmantzey Wrote:Throw a clear call in your destructor?

Haha, yup, that turned out to be the trick Blink