iDevGames Forums
What Language? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Programming Languages & Scripting (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: What Language? (/thread-2188.html)

What Language? - silver9172 - Nov 6, 2008 09:18 AM

Hello,

I am new to the forum here and also to OS X programming. I want to start to develop games but I don't know what road to go down as far as the easiest and/or best language to use to start doing that.

I have some experience with C++ and basic Windows programming. I started reading a Cocoa and Objective-C book to get myself more familiar with Mac programming. Is Objective-C a good language to use for game dev? Or should I be looking more into C++?

Thanks!

What Language? - ThemsAllTook - Nov 6, 2008 11:59 AM

Both are perfectly suitable. Objective-C support is a bit spotty on other platforms, so if portability is a big concern, you may want to stick primarily to C or C++. If you're only writing for the Mac and/or iPhone, Objective-C is an excellent choice. You can also use a hybrid approach, where your platform-specific code is implemented with Objective-C on the Mac, but the platform-independent core of your game is C/++.

What Language? - Wowbagger - Nov 6, 2008 12:07 PM

Objective-C with Cocoa, like ThemsAllTook said, an excellent choice for OS X-only or iPhone games. If you want to go cross-platform, C/C++ with SDL might be a better route. But these aren't the only options -- you could look into other languages like Python with pyglet.

Basically, there are lots of roads you can go down when starting out in OS X game development, and sadly, there is no "easiest and/or best language" to start with. You just have to find something that suits your needs and that you feel comfortable learning, and then just run with it.

There was a similar discussion about this recently -- you can check it out if you want more suggestions:

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15520

What Language? - silver9172 - Nov 6, 2008 05:49 PM

Thanks!

I'll check out that other post. I'm not really concerned about porting to much. I did look into SDL though just because it seemed like a good way to go from what I read. Are there any books or articles out there about writing games in Objective-C or is it just something I need to learn to tinker with as I learn the language more? It seems to me that it is hard to find things about game dev on OS X.

Thanks!