iDevGames Forums
What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? (/thread-2481.html)

What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? - TomorrowPlusX - Aug 6, 2008 02:29 PM

Image kind of says it all:

[Image: TeapotSphincter.png]

Admittedly, I don't use glutSolidTeapot very often -- generally just for throwaway stuff -- but I have no idea why my teapot has an apparent sphincter atop the handle.

I have enabled GL_NORMALIZE, and the rest of the teapot looks great. But what's up with the handle? I don't recall this in earlier GLUT teapots...

Wacko

( I'm laying the foundation for the LiSPSM demo I'm going to write, and just wanted something on the screen to make certain my lighting pipeline was sane. )

What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? - AnotherJake - Aug 6, 2008 02:43 PM

LOL teapot sphincter ...

Maybe you could try the glut_teapot out of my shadow mapping demo. I think I pilfered that one from an Apple example.

What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? - arekkusu - Aug 6, 2008 04:25 PM

The normal is 0,0,0 at that point, so the length of the normal is zero. So the normalized normal is...

What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? - TomorrowPlusX - Aug 7, 2008 06:48 AM

Well, that certainly explains it, but I don't recall seeing it in the past, and I don't know why the canonical teapot would have a degenerate normal.

Anyway, I'm not using glutSolidTeapot for the LiSPSM demo, so it doesn't really matter. But I was -- and still am -- a little perturbed.

What's wrong with my glutSolidTeapot? - arekkusu - Aug 7, 2008 10:27 AM

It's always been that way. But, the interpretation of NaN differs depending on the renderer, so it might have looked OK on your old hardware.

If it bugs you, file a radar!.