iDevGames Forums
Multiplayer games - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Design (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer games (/thread-2604.html)

Multiplayer games - Yoggy - Jun 4, 2008 04:08 PM

Is it just me or do most multiplayer shooting games seem to be very very similar these days?

I'm not just talking about the themes or anything, just how the players interact and how the tactics end up working. In my experience most of what makes a win or loss is luck and "skill", which is mostly familiarity with the maps, weapons, and controls.

The tactics that end up existing seem so forced and don't really affect how each player does in the game.

Just out of thinking about this on and off for a while, here is an example of a game that I think might break this mold:

Imagine a normal 3rd person multiplayer game. Each player controls some sort of vehicle that can move and look around, etc. Like most games the goal is to destroy the other team, but instead of just letting them shoot at eachother with whatever weapon, the game has some sort of bizarre rules for fighting. For example:

You can select or "lock on" to enemies.
Once 2 or maybe 3 people on your team lock on to the same enemy, if you are close enough to it, you can destroy it really easily.
You have access to a top view of the map, with icons and lines showing where everyone is and where people are locking on. Maybe you can issue orders to your team mates on this screen, RTS style.

Other (probably nonlethal) weapons and gameplay elements could be added, but thats the core of the idea. What do you think? Personally I would welcome an online game where real tactics are the meat of the game, even if it was ugly and simple.

Multiplayer games - igame3d - Jun 4, 2008 07:11 PM

Yoggy Wrote:Personally I would welcome an online game where real tactics are the meat of the game, even if it was ugly and simple.

Try Galactica A.D., its ugly (compared to say Halo) and simple, you can play online or offline. I get addicted for a day or two every few months.

Have your favorite Sci-Fi movie themes ready in iTunes, it enhances the experience.