iDevGames Forums
Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? (/thread-2673.html)

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - Carlos Camacho - Apr 13, 2008 07:32 PM

Hello,

Does anyone use Comcast Cable modem? I switched from DSL this weekend to cable modem and I'm having problems connecting with my Mac.

My system had an iMac and laptop PC connected wirelessly to a router and than the cable modem. The PC is working fine. However, the Mac won't get an IP that is working, it assigned itself 169.254.184.82, since it can't get an IP.

I connected the Mac directly to the cable modem, and still I can't connect. I turned the cable modem on/off and still no good. IN the Network control panel, I tried clicking RENEW DHCP Lease and still no good.

I've talked to 5 techs and no one can help. One idiot said, "Contact the machine's OEM?" Idiot.

My LAN cable is fine as well. I could find one doc via Google on Apple's page that relates to Mac and Comcast. It had some steps from older Mac OS X versions, but for Leopard it didn't say anything outside of contact Comcast.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Carlos

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - lightbringer - Apr 13, 2008 09:47 PM

Try plugging the DNS servers that the router reports into the network preference pane.

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - maximile - Apr 14, 2008 05:42 AM

You could try giving yourself a static IP, in case it's just a problem with DHCP. Just make sure it's in the same range as the PC's one and copy the router address and over.

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - ThemsAllTook - Apr 14, 2008 06:42 AM

Mine is picky about having multiple computers connected to it. It only gives out one DHCP IP address, and seems to remember it so that I can't connect a second computer until I unplug the modem and let it reset. This sounds like it might be a router configuration problem, though it should have worked when you plugged your Mac directly into it...

If you know your Mac works with the router, and if the router is handling all the direct communication with the cable modem, there shouldn't be any difference between connecting on your PC and on your Mac. I'd try this:
  • Unplug cable modem and router.
  • Plug in cable modem and wait for it to start up completely.
  • Plug in router and wait for it to start up completely.
  • Connect to the router with your Mac and verify that it's gotten a connection via the cable modem.
  • See if the Internet works on the Mac.
  • Connect to the router with your PC, and see if Internet works.
What brand/model is your router?

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - Duane - Apr 14, 2008 02:41 PM

On Time Warner Cable (queue crossing self), whenever a new computer connects I have to restart my modem and router, even though it registers a connection.

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - Carlos Camacho - Apr 14, 2008 02:52 PM

I finally got it to work! Now to connect the PC!!! Ugh!

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - leRiCl - Apr 15, 2008 03:53 AM

Erm... I got ADSL internet with multiple macs and pcs in my house all connecting to a single router. None of the computers can work by connecting directly to the router. I don't know how you guys do it... maybe it's just my ISP

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - Terrydil - Apr 15, 2008 07:35 AM

leRiCl Wrote:Erm... I got ADSL internet with multiple macs and pcs in my house all connecting to a single router. None of the computers can work by connecting directly to the router. I don't know how you guys do it... maybe it's just my ISP

Does it work if you power cycle the modem after plugging in a different piece of hardware? Although, if you have multiple workstations and they all work when connected with a router I guess it doesn't matter if you can plug directly into the modem or not. Smile

Anyone use Comcast Cable Modem? - Tools10 - Apr 15, 2008 07:51 AM

leRiCl Wrote:Erm... I got ADSL internet with multiple macs and pcs in my house all connecting to a single router. None of the computers can work by connecting directly to the router. I don't know how you guys do it... maybe it's just my ISP

There is at least one Swedish ISP that delivers ADSL modems that only allow one computer(MAC-address) to be connected at the same time.
As far as I know there isn't any way to get round this except to change software on the modem in which case I think it would be easier to just buy a "real" router("real" = cheap).
Just be careful with the subnets and DMZ might come in handy if the modem doesn't support bridge.