iDevGames Forums
Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 (/thread-2774.html)

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - Matrix - Feb 12, 2008 02:39 PM

Apple released, along with the Leopard 10.5.2 update, the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 which seems to include (according to the package contents) new drivers for most of Apples video card offerings (GMA950, GMAX3100, ATi 8500+, 9700+, X1000 Series, X2000 Series, nVidia GF2 Series, GF3 Series, GF7000 Series, GF8000 Series) as well as an updated OpenGL framework.

It apparently fixes a few bugs and according to scattered reports on forums, provides general speed-ups to OpenGL accelerated graphics system wide.

I wish I had done some benchmarks in some 3D games before I installed the update to see the differences.

The thing that peaked my interest the most, aside from a nice OpenGL update, is the 1.0 tacked onto the name of this update. Maybe Apple has finally decided to make its GPU driver updates separate and more frequent from system updates? Like AMD and nVidia do on Windows/Linux?

Only Apple knows, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The time between point releases is sometimes in the vicinity of a few months — thats a few months for sometimes serious OpenGL bugs (read hard crashes) to be fixed.

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - m3the01 - Feb 16, 2008 02:58 PM

Very happy with the update!

Fixed so many problem i just cant count them all, lol, im serious though...

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - TomorrowPlusX - Feb 21, 2008 08:11 AM

Solved my hard crash bug ( on x1600 ) when sampling a depth texture while writing to an FBO. The bug showed up somewhere around 10.4.8...

Of course, I filed a bug report and reproducible sample code. So happy it's fixed! I have soft particles again!

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - reubert - Feb 21, 2008 01:04 PM

Fixed a customer's random hard crashes problem on the GMA X3100 Smile sweet

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - kuon_ - Feb 27, 2008 08:49 AM

For me it fixed a nasty bug where the whole card framebuffer get corrupted and I had multicolor triangles all over the screen.

My world of warcraft framerate also doubled (x1900).

Anyway, it would be very cool to have detailed release notes. And it would be even more cooler if apple decided to update the drivers more often.