iDevGames Forums
OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration (/thread-2940.html)

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - m3the01 - Nov 15, 2007 03:49 PM

Has anyone picked this book up? I was thinking of ordering, if anyone has any feedback please post..

Thanks!

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - OneSadCookie - Nov 15, 2007 04:05 PM

Has it finally been released?

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - m3the01 - Nov 15, 2007 04:16 PM

Yeah november 9th i guess? Amazon has it for sale.

Thinking of picking it up, have you heard anything?

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - OneSadCookie - Nov 15, 2007 05:31 PM

Nothing...

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - ThemsAllTook - Nov 16, 2007 06:39 AM

I've had this on pre-order since February. I just got an e-mail from Amazon yesterday telling me it would ship November 21st.

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - m3the01 - Nov 16, 2007 08:33 AM

I just picked it up....

Should be here in a couple days

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - ThemsAllTook - Nov 16, 2007 11:50 AM

m3the01 Wrote:I just picked it up....

Should be here in a couple days

What do you mean? Those two statements appear to contradict each other.

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - TomorrowPlusX - Nov 16, 2007 02:17 PM

Can somebody post a mini-review when they get it? My OpenGL books are pretty dated...

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - m3the01 - Nov 18, 2007 07:31 PM

Sorry picked it up from amazon.com, bad wording...

OpenGL(R) Programming on Mac OS(R) X: Architecture, Performance, and Integration - mlee442 - Feb 17, 2008 04:34 PM

Hey,

I am new to these forums, but I got the book. It is by no means a leap ahead in knowledge for what we already know. It was written pre-leopard, so it has a few out of date areas in it. However, the authors knowing this made some appropriate changes, in the appendix or on there website... I forget at the moment since I am at work.

It covers the history of mac OpenGL programming, so it is an interesting read. Covers all of the apple APIs, ranging from Core - NS, which was a great read. The 2nd half of the book is dedicated to explaining these API's, and why a developer would choose one over the other. Great advice on what to use if you want many different OSX versions to be compatable with the final product. Like I said, decent Leopard integration, however I felt it could have been better.

It gives a pretty good tutorial on Xcode Tools #C NSViews and such. Worth the $55 I got it for. (tutorial for 10.4 in the book chapters, and for 10.5 in the appendix) I remember now... the code is downloadable, although no errers were really listed online.