iDevGames Forums
Bin file - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Programming Languages & Scripting (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Bin file (/thread-2955.html)

Bin file - StealthyCoin - Nov 7, 2007 01:28 PM

I want to Extrract something from a bin file then remove the bin file. With unix commands.
Open binfile ; rm binfile obviously does not work because it only waits for the open command to finish then just leaves whatever tool it opened sitting there confused as to who woke it up.

Lots of online source sseem to think I should have unbin which I do not have nor can I find. And as far as I can tell none of the normal archving commands do not recognize bin.

What should I use?

Bin file - GolfHacker - Nov 7, 2007 05:26 PM

I know on Linux, my game installers use a .bin extension. But they are actual executables, not compressed archives. I think .bin is used for lots of different things on *nix. Are you sure the bin file you've got is an archive and not something else?

Bin file - AndyKorth - Nov 7, 2007 05:54 PM

man open says:

-W Causes open to wait until the applications it opens (or that were already open) have exited.

So if you do "open -W binfile.bin; rm binfile.bin", that would work.

Bin file - StealthyCoin - Nov 7, 2007 10:57 PM

AndyKorth Wrote:man open says:

-W Causes open to wait until the applications it opens (or that were already open) have exited.

So if you do "open -W binfile.bin; rm binfile.bin", that would work.

Wow, I looked at all the options for pretty much all the other tools except open. Thanks Ill try it.

Bin file - StealthyCoin - Nov 8, 2007 11:39 AM

Yes its an archive. If I get rid of the ; rm bin; it extracts I just have a bin file is sitting there I don't want.

ALso my man open does not show a -W. ANd using -W gives me horrible errors.