iDevGames Forums
can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 (/thread-3112.html)

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Terrydil - Aug 7, 2007 08:19 PM

Hi everyone. I have been visiting this forum for a while but as I am a complete novice at programming I haven't had anything worthwhile to post yet. Grin

I've decided to attempt to write a simple program using OpenGL and SDL however everytime I try to compile any SDL program, even the default that comes with the download, I get this error:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_HIPointConvert referenced from QuickTime expected to be defined in Carbon

I believe I'm installing the framework/templates correctly but considering I can't even get the default atlantis program to compile I have a feeling I missing something stupid. Can someone help?

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Duane - Aug 8, 2007 05:35 AM

have you included both quicktime and carbon in your project?

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Terrydil - Aug 8, 2007 06:15 AM

I added both and still got the same error. I don't understand why anything with Quicktime or Carbon is coming up, because at least with my custom program other than the SDLMain.h/m all I'm doing is creating an OpenGL graphics context with SDL and clearing the window to black.

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Duane - Aug 8, 2007 06:35 AM

are any other error messages showing up? Sometimes therin lies the answer. Otherwise, recompile the sdl framework for yourself.

Are you on 10.3?

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Terrydil - Aug 8, 2007 06:51 AM

I get two warnings on top of that error:

ld: warning prebinding disabled because dependent library: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL is not prebound

ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may result in errors or different symbols being used

and yes, i'm using 10.3.9. Thanks for your help btw Smile

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - OneSadCookie - Aug 8, 2007 01:23 PM

SDL is written in terms of Cocoa (and apparently, Carbon). That's why you need to include those frameworks.

Since adding the Carbon framework will fix the error you have, what's the new error that causes it to fail after that?

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Duane - Aug 8, 2007 01:34 PM

Terrydil Wrote:I added both and still got the same error.

Terrydil: You're out of luck; I googled the symbol and came up with this: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.sdl/34002. You might try an older revision of SDL, or grab a binary from an application that uses sdl and runs on your system.

can't get SDL to compile in Xcode 1.5 - Terrydil - Aug 8, 2007 01:54 PM

aw, lame Sad Well I guess I'll find an older version that doesn't require 10.4 or just suck it up and work in carbon or cocoa.

thanks Nayr