iDevGames Forums
What is iGame3D? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What is iGame3D? (/thread-3438.html)

What is iGame3D? - Elfenlyte - Mar 7, 2007 09:26 AM

I was wondering what iGame3D was... I went to the website but I couldn't find enough information. I am guessing its a game engine?

Thanks.

P.S. What packages should I download?

What is iGame3D? - Joseph Duchesne - Mar 7, 2007 10:54 AM

From iGame3D.de:
Quote:The iGame3D game engine and editors are under development. Until we release alpha and beta test versions, you can check out the games that were made with iGame3D.

It is a game engine that (when I tried it about a year ago), seemed to marry the intuitiveness of assembly and the speed of BASIC (I'm being sarcastic, for the most part here. I should also note that I have never really done well with anything more "integrated" than a text editor. I like source, thus my previous statement should be disregarded.).

That said, from what I could tell, it's a fine crossplatform 3D game engine/editor, and from the demos I've seen and the games on the site, it's evidently quite capable.

I'm sure someone will pop on here with a download link so you can try it out yourself. Also, my failure to do anything with it was likely due to lack of documentation at that time I tried it. I'm not sure how much has changed since then.

What is iGame3D? - Leisure Suit Lurie - Mar 7, 2007 11:03 AM

Go here and toy with the editor. They do support Lua scripting now, Joe.

What is iGame3D? - Joseph Duchesne - Mar 7, 2007 01:28 PM

Ah, excellent Smile Lua rocks Grin

What is iGame3D? - stevejohnson - Mar 7, 2007 03:37 PM

I tried it a while back. Looked daunting, so I went and played Halo instead.

I hope Bill and whoever else works on it can eventually make it live up to its name, "iGame3D," which suggest simplicity.

What is iGame3D? - igame3d - Mar 7, 2007 08:21 PM

Thanks for asking, three times.

"iGame3D is a volunteer collaboration that has actively developed 3D game design software since 2002."

About every four to six months there is another person who adds a day or month of their time and effort to the cause.

Currently someone has volunteered to write exporters for
Blender and their other favorite 3D app so that we don't have to bother
ourselves with the complexities of building our own 3D modeler.

Earlier in the month a host of fellow developers helped
us make some important and pressing decisions. Without
their spirit this crazy train would not be running.

Which software to download depends on what you want to do?
Play? Download a game.
Hack? Download a stack
BugHunt? Download a binary

Its all explained at the website
along with a host of email address links available to address your questions.

diordna Wrote:I tried it a while back.
Looked daunting, so I went and played Halo instead.
Yeah I know that feeling very well.

diordna Wrote:I hope Bill and whoever else works on it can eventually make it live up to its name, "iGame3D," which suggest simplicity.

iGame3D to me suggests five years of working at something that most people can't even imagine trying to achieve,
and many people said was not likely to ever happen.

Perhaps even more people have suggested to us what it should be and what it should do, so we go ahead and try.

You are free to hack the stacks and see try your hand at simplicity.

The source has been licensed, so you might see someone lurking the boards
do something simple and fun with it, or go crazy like us Wacko
How's your C?
How simple is a BlitzMax module?

What is iGame3D? - stevejohnson - Mar 8, 2007 08:01 AM

Did I offend you? I didn't say it wasn't a good tool, or overly complex. I'm sure it's very capable, but I didn't have the motivation to learn it at the time. (I also had trouble with Unity, though, so maybe it's my lack of 3D math skills.)

And no, a theoretical BlitzMax 3D module isn't simple either, but it's not called iGame3D, is it? BlitzMax right now is more or less for making 2D games, with OpenGL support tacked on.

What is iGame3D? - igame3d - Mar 8, 2007 10:21 AM

diordna Wrote:Did I offend you? I didn't say it wasn't a good tool, or overly complex. I'm sure it's very capable, but I didn't have the motivation to learn it at the time. (I also had trouble with Unity, though, so maybe it's my lack of 3D math skills.)

And no, a theoretical BlitzMax 3D module isn't simple either, but it's not called iGame3D, is it? BlitzMax right now is more or less for making 2D games, with OpenGL support tacked on.

Relax. I was only explaining that your assumption that iGame3D should be simple and easy to use is a nice dream, but far from the reality of actually making such a program with extremely limited resources.

And asking if you knew enough about Blitzmax to port some code.
I know exactly what blitzmax is and what it is capable of, and that its two years later and promised 3D is not here. Thinking of bringing that to the product.

Breathe.

What is iGame3D? - stevejohnson - Mar 8, 2007 01:17 PM

Hey, I'm totally fine, just wanted to make sure neither of us was angry at the other.

I'm ticked about the lack of a 3D module in it, but at least we have GUI now, and I didn't have to pay for either one. By the time the 3D module is out, I'll be in college and smart enough to roll my own, leaving BlitzMax behind.

What is iGame3D? - igame3d - Mar 8, 2007 01:46 PM

diordna Wrote:I'll be in college and smart enough to roll my own, leaving BlitzMax behind.

Tobi was only like sixteen when he started this engine.
He's a freshman in college now.

I'm 36 and a freshman in college.

Don't wait to be smart enough.

What is iGame3D? - stevejohnson - Mar 8, 2007 04:06 PM

It's not intelligence so much as time at this point.