iDevGames Forums
Who here have developed commercial software? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Who here have developed commercial software? (/thread-3480.html)

Pages: 1 2

Who here have developed commercial software? - leRiCl - Feb 20, 2007 05:50 AM

I myself have developed several pieces of crap with at most user base <5. (a basic editor, a script editor, an rts (that slows to 1fps after 120 seconds), an rpg (myst like, except I had no story)... All were made with scripting languages.

They all have 0 users each, currently, since I have stopped using them myself. I am now taking a good look at Java.

What about you?

Who here have developed commercial software? - BeyondCloister - Feb 20, 2007 07:19 AM

Various PDA shareware games. No idea how many users but 3 figure at least. (C and C++)
Various free games and utilities. (C, C++, Objective-C)
Bespoke commercial applications - single user base per application. (VB.NET, VB, C++, PHP/HTML)
Commercial applications. (C++)
Currently developing a commercial application for my own company. (PHP/HTML)

Who here have developed commercial software? - ThemsAllTook - Feb 20, 2007 07:46 AM

I assume being employed as a developer for a commercial software company counts?

Who here have developed commercial software? - BeyondCloister - Feb 20, 2007 08:17 AM

ThemsAllTook Wrote:I assume being employed as a developer for a commercial software company counts?

Unless you have the misfortune to be employed by a company that develops software that never sees the light of day. (Been there, done that)

Who here have developed commercial software? - ThemsAllTook - Feb 20, 2007 08:59 AM

Heheh. Not the case here. Smile Doesn't sound like much fun, though.

Who here have developed commercial software? - Najdorf - Feb 20, 2007 12:07 PM

Shareware and freeware (but free only as in free beer Smile )

Who here have developed commercial software? - Jaden - Feb 20, 2007 12:15 PM

Hmm, what about in-house development? What does that count as?

Who here have developed commercial software? - sealfin - Feb 20, 2007 12:30 PM

Shareware and freeware Grin

Who here have developed commercial software? - OneSadCookie - Feb 20, 2007 12:30 PM

It's what I do for a living. The software from my first job is in active use at around ten TV stations worldwide including the BBC, and I am absolutely certain that the software I've been working on for the last year at my new job will be released as well Smile

Who here have developed commercial software? - arekkusu - Feb 20, 2007 01:56 PM

I make things go.

Who here have developed commercial software? - akb825 - Feb 20, 2007 02:31 PM

I have completed one free application, Fractographer, which has actually gotten quite a few downloads. It was even used as a benchmark test on a MacSpeed Zone article. (though that was admittedly because there weren't many intensive universal binary apps out at the time) More notably, though, it was used as the showcase app for a homework assigment at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. (sorry if I'm rambling, but this is something that I'm really proud of Rasp)

Anyways, I've gotten to a beta stage of my Monkey3D framework and an accompanying utility, which is meant to help use animations, models, and collisions in games. However, I started without reading anything on the subject, just with my own ideas, and when I did look for information I hardly found anything worthwhile, so my implementation is unwieldy and not very powerful: you need to manually set the vertices to bones, there is no smooth skinning (just simple skinning where each vertex is connected to every bone), and I tried to set up the channels with dynamics in mind rather than trying to make a nice curve. (though that last part may not be a bad thing) However, thinking about it on my own taught me a lot, and now I'm learning the "correct" way to do it in my 3D animation programming class at school, but instead of spending a lot more time retrofitting my library, I've decided to use a 3rd party library for that stuff. (it's still very useful to understand how it works when using it, though) I probably will still release the source eventually, since there's some interesting stuff in that code, even if not all of it worked as well as I had hoped.

Anyways, I'm now working on my first game, which I will hopefully finish and release as shareware. Unfortunately development has been slow lately due to school, but I'm hopeful that it will be released sometime in the summer.

Who here have developed commercial software? - hokan - Feb 20, 2007 03:00 PM

I've worked on both commercial and open source software:

* The AXD301 - "High performance Multiservice switch - data communication and voice services with guaranteed QoS" at Ericsson for 4 years (http://www.ericsson.com/products/hp/AXD_301_305_MultiService_Switch_Rel_7_1_TAG_MSG_MGW_pos.shtml), a piece of hardware and software which probably, only a select few telecom technicians will ever see.

* YXA (http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/yxa/) - a open source SIP implementation (a IP telephony server), where I spent most of my 7 months (4.5 months) on writing the CPL implementation (http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/yxa/cpl_implementation.html) from scratch. CPL is a language used to specify call forwarding based on call priority, time of call (very complex time conditions can be specified), ...

* I've been developing parts of a invoice handling system used by web-stores, for Kreditor (http://kreditor.se/ - a company here in Sweden) since the end of 2005. With more than 1000+ web-stores as customers, we probably have several thousand users, using our administrative web GUI (or using xmlrpc calls to interact with our server directly).

I also have a number of unfinished personal game/software projects aimed at MacOSX/Linux system.

Who here have developed commercial software? - MarkJ - Feb 20, 2007 03:16 PM

I've done a few indieware games on my own (Descender, Sloppy Sokoban), and I spent last summer at Apple working on the iPod games, notably Texas Hold'em and Vortex.

But wait, what are you thinking of doing in Java?

Who here have developed commercial software? - BeyondCloister - Feb 20, 2007 04:40 PM

BeyondCloister Wrote:Unless you have the misfortune to be employed by a company that develops software that never sees the light of day. (Been there, done that)

ThemsAllTook Wrote:Heheh. Not the case here. Smile Doesn't sound like much fun, though.

It is not fun. It hurts when you see all your hard work go to waste due to poor management. (One company)

It hurts even more when you loose about £6k in unpaid salary and expenses when the company folds due to poor management. (Another company)

Who here have developed commercial software? - Jaden - Feb 20, 2007 05:09 PM

Well, I work for a rather large door factory out here in the northwest building incredibly dull business applications (ie, Inventory management, sales order processing, purchasing, employee management, that kind of thing.)

None of it sees the light of day out side of the door factory but we have a couple hundred employees here that use the various applications..

Also involved with a small indie studio of 2 ( 3 once we successfully "recruit" a certain artist.) That should have a beta out around April/May.

Hmm...interesting thread. Gives a good picture of what everyone in the community is up to.