iDevGames Forums
Industry Tools? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Industry Tools? (/thread-3500.html)

Industry Tools? - AGhost - Feb 12, 2007 04:51 AM

Hey Everyone,

I was just trying to decide on the best modeling, graphics, etc tools to learn and wanted to know what is the most widely used/best in the industry? Doesn't matter the platform, just the best to learn overall. I want to learn how to use tools/skills that can actually be applied in the gaming/entertainment industry.

The list I came up with of tools that I could find were:

Modeling/Animation/Texture Tools:

Mudbox3D (Mudbox)
Cinema3D, Bodypaint3D (Maxon)
ZBrush (Pixologic)
XSI (SoftImage)
Modo (Luxology)
Blender
Wings3D

AGhost

Industry Tools? - PowerMacX - Feb 12, 2007 05:46 AM

Did you... put yourself on the "tools" list? Rasp

You are missing a couple of big ones:
- Maya
- Photoshop

Industry Tools? - ThemsAllTook - Feb 12, 2007 06:59 AM

Are you looking specifically to get a job using these tools, or is this just for yourself?

Industry Tools? - igame3d - Feb 12, 2007 08:34 AM

Maya or 3D Studio Max, Zbrush, Photoshop

To get a job in the industry these are what you'll be expected to show demo reel/portfolio material on. You'll also be expected to draw so break out the pencil.

Check the job offers at monster.com, gamasutra, your local IGDA forum, where you can keep up to date with the industries expectations. Visiting the employment section of game developer websites will also be beneficial

Industry Tools? - ferum - Feb 12, 2007 03:29 PM

Motion builder (autodesk) also apears to be catching on. Recently I have read a few interviews where the team used all three of autodesk's products: Maya, 3D Studio Max, and Motion builder.
Personally, I really like Maya.

Industry Tools? - Malarkey - Feb 13, 2007 03:59 PM

I concur with igame3d, PowerMacX, and ferum's posts. That's what what our art department over here uses. In fact, I think a lot of the art for Star Trek: Tactical Assault was done with Photoshop and 3DS Max (not to mention good ol' fashioned pencil and paper).

Industry Tools? - Elfenlyte - Mar 6, 2007 06:00 PM

Kind of Off-topic:

What exactly is iGame3D? I couldn't quite find out from looking at the official website.

Thanks.

Industry Tools? - igame3d - Mar 6, 2007 08:49 PM

Elfenlyte Wrote:Kind of Off-topic:

What exactly is iGame3D? I couldn't quite find out from looking at the official website.

Thanks.
Thanks for asking.
Did you visit today, after I de-themed the site by updating wordpress before I had my first coffee?

The posting on the homepage February 27th, 2007 reads:
igame3d Wrote:What is iGame3D?

iGame3D is a volunteer collaboration that has actively developed 3D game design software since 2002.

iGame3D began as email sent concerning a project posted on these forums.

Keep the tradition alive.

send an email to bill at igame3d dot com
for more information.

Thanks again for the inquiry.