iDevGames Forums
Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Programming Fundamentals (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? (/thread-3558.html)

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - asobo - Jan 15, 2007 04:33 AM

Hi,

I'm currently doing the installer for a commercial game and I couldn't find how to create a shortcut (alias ?) programaticaly on the desktop to my game executable.

This code would be called through Package maker's postflight script, so it could be either AppleScript, shell (bash etc) or Carbon C++ ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks !

Florent Tournade.
Asobo Studio

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - unknown - Jan 15, 2007 05:38 AM

ln,
but please dont do that id hate that so much if a game did that.
this is mac, not windows remember Smile

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - akb825 - Jan 15, 2007 12:05 PM

Agreed. Any alias made on the desktop would be immediately deleted by me. In fact, you shouldn't even have an installer: 90% of all Mac programs are installed by drag and drop.

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - Taxxodium - Jan 15, 2007 12:36 PM

BAD USER EXPERIENCE:

- add aliases to the desktop
- add stuff to the Dock (which causes the Dock to restart)

BETTER USER EXPERIENCE:

- open the folder containing the app you just installed

BEST USER EXPERIENCE:

- show a dialog when installation is complete saying where the app has been installed

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - OneSadCookie - Jan 15, 2007 12:39 PM

Icon on Desktop =Bad
Installer = Super Bad

Things on the Mac should drag and drop install.

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - Taxxodium - Jan 15, 2007 12:48 PM

OneSadCookie Wrote:Installer = Super Bad

Specially those that require an Admin password, or those that need to close all open apps *shiver*

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - Joseph Duchesne - Jan 15, 2007 01:05 PM

or even worse... *shudders* dare I mention restart?

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - Duane - Jan 15, 2007 02:16 PM

bye-bye three months of uptime!

See, unlike windows, mac applications keep their data inside their package (the .app); so installation is unnecessary.

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - ThemsAllTook - Jan 16, 2007 07:11 AM

Religious responses aside, this page may have some information you'd find useful.

For the rest of you, let's try to be a little bit more useful than just screaming your opinions as loud as possible, shall we? Think of what this thread looks like to a newcomer who just started it.

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - maximile - Jan 16, 2007 07:53 AM

ThemsAllTook Wrote:Religious responses aside, this page may have some information you'd find useful.

For the rest of you, let's try to be a little bit more useful than just screaming your opinions as loud as possible, shall we? Think of what this thread looks like to a newcomer who just started it.

unknown answered the question in the first reply - it looks like asobo knows enough to do a quick "man ln". And it looks like everyone agrees with the Apple guidelines you posted; that apps on Mac OS X should be done with a drag-and-drop install wherever possible.

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - ThemsAllTook - Jan 16, 2007 07:59 AM

maximile Wrote:unknown answered the question in the first reply - it looks like asobo knows enough to do a quick "man ln".
Ah, that's what that is! I assumed it was either random characters or some sort of typo. My mistake, though since I missed it after reading his message several times, the original poster may have, too...

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - BeyondCloister - Jan 16, 2007 08:54 AM

ThemsAllTook Wrote:Ah, that's what that is! I assumed it was either random characters or some sort of typo. My mistake, though since I missed it after reading his message several times, the original poster may have, too...

You're not the only one. I thought it was a poorly typed Hi or some new annoying internet craze.

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - unknown - Jan 16, 2007 09:33 AM

Yeah I didnt know I had a personal army to back me up when I state an opinion on the forum LOL
hehe

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - akb825 - Jan 16, 2007 12:31 PM

Well, it helps when everybody else has the same opinion. Rasp

Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? - stevejohnson - Jan 16, 2007 02:25 PM

Yeah, I share it. Don't screw with my desktop.