iDevGames Forums
2D Map Editor, any? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: 2D Map Editor, any? (/thread-3685.html)

2D Map Editor, any? - chuck - Nov 25, 2006 05:00 PM

Hi,

i'm searching a tile-based 2d map editor for osx. only one i found so far is reptile by the guys who made pixen. but it can't export to a simple text file.
doesn't have to be fancy, only need is a understandable output to implement in my game.
if i have to write my own, i guess i won't finish the game (like what happened to all the other dead projects in my working directory Smile).

greetings from europe

2D Map Editor, any? - Zwilnik - Nov 25, 2006 06:19 PM

If you only need *really* simple, then Appleworks spreadsheet can be used as a really basic 2D map editor to output to text files.

2D Map Editor, any? - chuck - Nov 25, 2006 07:32 PM

I didn't mean that simple Cool
But thx for an answer...

In the meantime i started a small map editor application (Well, until now it can only load my tilesets consisting of 64 tiles and lets you pick one of them, so i didn't got much done in the last few hours). I attached a pic to show my needs (Basically adding textures an painting them). But as i have no idea how far i will get with it, any recommended map editor would be better Rolleyes

[Image: bild2dg7.th.png]

2D Map Editor, any? - vnvrymdreglage - Nov 25, 2006 07:45 PM

Map editors are actually a lot easier than you think. As long as you've got your map format 100% planned out, it's downhill from there. Saving a map is like loading a map in reverse.

2D Map Editor, any? - Zwilnik - Nov 25, 2006 09:24 PM

chuck Wrote:I didn't mean that simple Cool
But thx for an answer...

hehe Smile I've used Appleworks for a few games before, but if you do need something a bit more powerful, my suggestion is to build the map editor into your game. The main reason for this is that you've already got the base code for your game drawing going anyway, so it's relatively easy to use it to draw the interface for your map editor. It's also handy in that when you're editing your maps, you're seeing them as they'd be drawn in game.

There's also a third advantage, which is that if you plan to allow players to edit their own maps, the editor is built into the game (if you don't want this, you simply make the release build #if the editor out).

2D Map Editor, any? - chuck - Nov 27, 2006 06:16 AM

Case closed...
I got a working map editor finished, earlier than i expected! Uhm, i mean i didn't thought of ever getting it done, so i'm a bit proud of me Smile
Well it's lacking some features like undo, but it is usable for me. So thanks to you guys and cu -> i'm mapping Wink