iDevGames Forums
Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called... - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Programming Fundamentals (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called... (/thread-3783.html)

Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called... - Jones - Oct 23, 2006 08:11 PM

The title pretty much explains it. How does one take advantage of CISC processor advantages like 3DNow, or SSE. I'm sure PPC has some sort of equivalent, no?

I found this on GameDev, but it appears to be a code style solely for this other compiler.

Now I understand stuff like MMX is pretty low level. Would it require the use of assembly to take advantage of? I'd rather write the functions myself, to see how it works, rather than just use a library.

I know *some* x86 assembly, and I've been studying it in the little spare time I don't devote to C++/OpenGL. If it requires asm programming then I'll stick with x86 only. PPC asm seems much harder, perhaps that's because there's less documentation on the subject.

Thanks for your input! Smile

EDIT: Found this too, looks like a good place to start. Smile

Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called... - OneSadCookie - Oct 23, 2006 08:53 PM

You mean "SIMD", this has nothing at all to do with the (almost-nonexistent) distinction between CISC and RISC...

If you search developer.apple.com for altivec and sse you'll quickly find the answers you need.

Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called... - akb825 - Oct 23, 2006 11:21 PM

Use the Accelerate framework and you won't have to use asm. Smile (note that it would will likely be better to send your data in large batches to reduce the function overhead, if you're that worried about performance)

Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called... - Jones - Oct 24, 2006 07:06 AM

Son of a Monkey's Uncle...

Apple gives you a framework to do this, how kind of them. Smile

Thanks for the links guys, this'll give me something interesting to learn about. Smile