iDevGames Forums
Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? (/thread-3907.html)

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - MarkJ - Sep 7, 2006 12:47 AM

One of the great things about the iDevGames boards is occasionally seeing some of my mac game dev heroes pop up now and again (like Ingemar!). Andrew Campbell wrote a couple really well-done games back in the day, and I was just idly wondering if he is still around and developing.

battle-girl:
[Image: 01-14.gif]

pop-pop
[Image: poppop2.jpg]

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - Taxxodium - Sep 7, 2006 06:58 AM

A Mac OS X version of Battle Girl would be fantastic. I would even free myself to help coding it.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - Malarkey - Sep 7, 2006 08:44 AM

Yes!!! I went to great lengths to get my old G3 back from an old friend that I had a falling out with just so I could play battle-girl again. I've been hoping for an OSX version as well -- it doesn't work so well in Classic and I've never been able to get it to run properly with SheepShaver.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - Taxxodium - Sep 7, 2006 08:52 AM

It seems Feral has the rights for Battle-Girl, so maybe we can get them to release the source code and/or to make an OS X version of this game.

I doubt they'll give the code, but you never know. Any volunteers to send them an email? and work on the game ofcourse.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - Najdorf - Sep 7, 2006 11:13 AM

I remember pop-pop, played it quite a while in the old days...

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - ravuya - Sep 7, 2006 12:48 PM

I'd sure like even the soundtrack from battle-girl.

I can't believe Feral is still around. Blink

I'd help port for sure.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - codemattic - Sep 8, 2006 03:46 AM

*loved* battle girl. Going to an intel machine will mean not being able to play one or two of my favorite classic games and battle girl is one of those. I have its techno soundtrack in iTunes and listen to it every once in a while - it was awesome fun.

Somehow I imagine it having lots of asm code and not likely to be resurrected.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - arekkusu - Sep 16, 2006 02:38 AM

Taxxodium Wrote:A Mac OS X version of Battle Girl would be fantastic.

There's always gridwars.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - uuslaing - Dec 6, 2006 11:24 AM

Hi, I'm the other half of Ultra/United and a co-author of battle-girl. I've gotten many requests over the years to port the game to OS X, but have never found the time. I would be willing to release this code into the public domain if I could find a qualified person to handle the port. Please email me if you're interested. I would prefer to hand it off to someone fairly experienced, with at least one shipped game to their credit.

The drawing routines are ASM, but they are simple Bresenham's with some unrolled loops and optimized for all the PowerPC flavors. Processors and graphics chips are a little faster these days so they should be easy to replace. Wink

scott

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - arekkusu - Dec 9, 2006 10:59 AM

Hm. Maybe after MacWorld... Wink

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - Taxxodium - Dec 9, 2006 01:03 PM

I would be very interested in checking out the source. However, my knowledge in assembly is quite limited and my Mac Toolbox knowledge is quite rusty.

I haven't made any games other than those for a contest for iDevGames. You can check it out here.

Let us know what you plan to do with the source code. Maybe you can release it a GPL.

Does anyone else remember pop-pop and and battle-girl? - adamwong246 - Feb 17, 2009 12:30 PM

Personally, I think battle girl would make an excellent game for the iphone/ipod touch