iDevGames Forums
Java game-writing resources? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Programming Languages & Scripting (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Java game-writing resources? (/thread-3923.html)

Java game-writing resources? - stevejohnson - Sep 2, 2006 01:31 PM

I just started dabbling in Java, but the built-in libraries seem ill-suited for games. Can anyone recommend a tutorial and/or library for me to use?

Also, any tutorials on using Java in Xcode?

Java game-writing resources? - sealfin - Sep 2, 2006 03:35 PM

I've never used it, but maybe LWJGL might be of use...

Java game-writing resources? - stevejohnson - Sep 2, 2006 05:51 PM

Yeah, but that requires OpenGL knowledge, which I don't have. I dislike OpenGL. That's not to say I won't learn it, but still. Everything seems so abstract. So far, I haven't found anything that explains all of its oddities in a clear fashion. And yes, I've done a few NeHe's.

Java game-writing resources? - OneSadCookie - Sep 2, 2006 07:31 PM

"oddities"?

Just bite the bullet and learn it. If you have questions, ask. It's the only sane way to do real-time graphics in Mac OS X or in Java.

Java game-writing resources? - unknown - Sep 3, 2006 12:31 AM

diordna Wrote:I dislike OpenGL.

OpenGL is fun and awesome when you start learning it you will start to like it.. probably.

Java game-writing resources? - Skorche - Sep 3, 2006 11:35 AM

If you ask me, I'd skip the NeHe tutorials and buy the OpenGL red book. Amazon Link I found it much more informative than a collection of tutorials.

Due to the amount of interesting effects that you can get easily using OpenGL, it's silly not to learn it if you ask me.

Java game-writing resources? - Tools10 - Sep 3, 2006 12:14 PM

LWJGL is probably the best solution for game programming.
That said there is Golden T Game Engine(http://www.goldenstudios.or.id/products/GTGE/) which I haven't tried myself.
I have been programming Java for a couple of years as a hobby and I've only used XCode as a texteditor.
The javac @compilelist command is usually sufficient and the javadoc might help you get a good look at what your doing.

Java game-writing resources? - Blacktiger - Sep 4, 2006 09:31 AM

In my software engineering class we wrote two 2D games in Java. The first one used Swing as the backend, and while some people will tell you Swing is fast and/or easy to learn I have to say it sucks (especially for games!). The next game we wrote using the LWJGL and that worked out much better, not to mention that we had a good framerate.

One of the other teams in my class used the Golden Tee Game Engine to accomplish their projects. It worked well for them, but I had the impression that you ended up doing very little coding and a lot of script writing.