iDevGames Forums
Free Tetris mini contest - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Contests (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Free Tetris mini contest (/thread-3956.html)

Pages: 1 2

Free Tetris mini contest - unknown - Aug 24, 2006 06:34 AM

The contest will be to make a tetris themed game, or a tetris clone.
It will probably be a 3 day mini contest, but im open to any suggestions.

Contest starting time is TBA, please post in this thread if you are willing to enter.

edit: I think it may be better as a 5 day contest.

Free Tetris mini contest - stevejohnson - Aug 24, 2006 06:58 AM

Vague, but as usual, I'm in.

Free Tetris mini contest - sealfin - Aug 24, 2006 10:52 AM

In response to this, perhaps? Wink

Either way, I'm in; would you accept a Tetris Attack!-derivative as being Tetris themed? Wink

Free Tetris mini contest - unknown - Aug 24, 2006 11:08 AM

wow getting a good response already!

sealfin, that would be fine yeah. go for it!

Free Tetris mini contest - backslash - Aug 24, 2006 01:21 PM

Interesting... It depends when it is though - I have some travelling to do for work in the next couple of weeks so I might not be available. At least I have enough odds and ends of code lying around to be able to achieve something worthwhile though. I'm still working on my game from a mini contest about 4 or 5 months ago (it actually works now, though - just needs some graphics that are comprehensible to other people instead of a variety of coloured pyramids. And some levels and stuff.)
So anyway, in principle I'm up for it. Smile
<edit>This isn't going to get Carlos into trouble is it? Sneaky </edit>

Free Tetris mini contest - Zwilnik - Aug 24, 2006 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=backslash
<edit>This isn't going to get Carlos into trouble is it? :sneaky: </edit>[/quote]

Potentially yes.

whatever your views on the situation, it's a bit silly to intentionally try and bring it down on iDevGames as well.

Free Tetris mini contest - unknown - Aug 24, 2006 02:55 PM

discussion thread: http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119418

Free Tetris mini contest - sealfin - Aug 24, 2006 03:52 PM

Zwilnik, I actually agree with the gist of the Tetris Company's objection (that pure clones of the game should not be permitted), and I agree labeling the contest as the "Tetris clone mini contest" might be needlessly provocative; however, that doesn't mean that the contest - under a more suitable label - should not go ahead, perhaps with the insertion into the rules that part of the contest's objectives is to see what can be done with a deviations on the general theme of the 'falling block' genre - which the Tetris Company can hardly object to, or I'd expect to hear of them filing charges against Compile (Puyo Puyo), Sega (Columns), Capcom (Super Puzzle Fighter), and a hell of a lot of others within the next few days...

Free Tetris mini contest - Zwilnik - Aug 24, 2006 04:13 PM

sealfin Wrote:however, that doesn't mean that the contest - under a more suitable label - should not go ahead, perhaps with the insertion into the rules that part of the contest's objectives is to see what can be done with a deviations on the general theme of the 'falling block' genre - which the Tetris Company can hardly object to, or I'd expect to hear of them filing charges against Compile (Puyo Puyo), Sega (Columns), Capcom (Super Puzzle Fighter), and a hell of a lot of others within the next few days...

That would probably be a good idea. See how many different, unique, games can be made that are spun from a basic overall idea.

Free Tetris mini contest - Achithyn - Aug 24, 2006 08:45 PM

I wonder if I could make a command line version of Tetris.... now that would be interesting. Grin If not, I will gladly sit back and wait for all the *hopes* 'open source' this contest provides? Well, best of luck to everyone. Smile

~Achi

Free Tetris mini contest - Duane - Aug 25, 2006 07:05 AM

I'd love to; gotta do something whil gentoo compiles...

Free Tetris mini contest - unknown - Aug 25, 2006 09:43 AM

I think it may be a 5 day contest instead, and probably starting tonight.
Of course, if anyone would like to enter after the contest has started, thats fine too.

any questions objections suggestions? post here.

Free Tetris mini contest - unknown - Aug 25, 2006 02:21 PM

Starts now, ends in 5 days from this post so thats about
22:20 on 30th Aug GMT.

good luck everyone!

Free Tetris mini contest - stevejohnson - Aug 25, 2006 03:18 PM

I'm in, with Dan Lurie I think.

Free Tetris mini contest - imikedaman - Aug 26, 2006 05:58 PM

Achithyn Wrote:I wonder if I could make a command line version of Tetris.... now that would be interesting. Grin If not, I will gladly sit back and wait for all the *hopes* 'open source' this contest provides? Well, best of luck to everyone. Smile

~Achi
Doesn't emacs have a hidden Tetris game?