iDevGames Forums
Was the file size limit a problem? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Contests (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Was the file size limit a problem? (/thread-4751.html)

Pages: 1 2

Was the file size limit a problem? - BeyondCloister - Nov 28, 2005 10:02 AM

As we approach the dying hours of OMG, I was wondering how many developers did find the 20 MB file size limit a problem in the end.

Was the file size limit a problem? - dfmoore - Nov 28, 2005 10:16 AM

There's always more that you want to add... and it did get a little tight.. but really, the core goodness of a game can usually be expressed in <20 (well, <40, compressed in half!)

cheers, and good luck to everyone ( =

Was the file size limit a problem? - willThimbleby - Nov 28, 2005 10:38 AM

Masses and masses of room to spare. Tracktor Beam is about 1.5Mb compressed. I actually killed the music because it made the compressed file eight times the size, and I wasn't convinced by the track. I'm still looking for music if anyone has any good ideas.

Was the file size limit a problem? - MattDiamond - Nov 28, 2005 11:33 AM

I used Unity and added 3 (short) Ogg Vorbis music tracks, and the compressed dmg still only came to about 9 meg. So no complaints here.

(If I'd had a real artist helping me we could have added a few more meg pretty easily, so I'm glad the old 10 MB limit was raised.)

Was the file size limit a problem? - OneSadCookie - Nov 28, 2005 01:51 PM

even at its largest, Outnumbered with 6MB of music and a 1.3MB (universal) binary never broke 11MB. By compressing the music better and stripping the executable I was able to get the size down even further (it's now 7MB total).

So, 10MB would have felt a little tight, but would have worked out OK. 20MB was no restriction at all.

Was the file size limit a problem? - Oblivion - Nov 28, 2005 02:08 PM

Still don't know how could you fill all those MBs, mine is currently 100Kbytes and contains some duplicate code Smile

Was the file size limit a problem? - Shunter - Nov 28, 2005 03:10 PM

I had to put my music in .wav format because I couldn't get it in ogg Sad (using BlitzMax) So I could only fir one song in. Other than that, it was all fine

Was the file size limit a problem? - aarku - Nov 28, 2005 03:19 PM

Shunter Wrote:I had to put my music in .wav format because I couldn't get it in ogg Sad (using BlitzMax) So I could only fir one song in. Other than that, it was all fine
Did you ask anyone for help with that? I know there are some BlitzMax entries that use ogg music, and I'm sure the authors and other people on the forum would have been willing to help.

-Jon

Was the file size limit a problem? - Carlos Camacho - Nov 28, 2005 06:04 PM

Glad to see we made the right decision with the 20MB limit (also goo for the bandwidth Wink )

Cheers,

Was the file size limit a problem? - Shunter - Nov 28, 2005 06:54 PM

Quote:Did you ask anyone for help with that?
No, I had a friend on it so I thought I would be ok Wink But as it turns out I guess I should have Sad

Was the file size limit a problem? - Najdorf - Nov 28, 2005 08:03 PM

Argh, I placed second as of minimum filesize (750 k), beaten by Evol's second entry >:(

Was the file size limit a problem? - Leisure Suit Lurie - Nov 29, 2005 07:05 AM

aarku Wrote:Did you ask anyone for help with that? I know there are some BlitzMax entries that use ogg music, and I'm sure the authors and other people on the forum would have been willing to help.

-Jon

My entry uses ogg (courtesy of aarku.) Audacity can convert to and from ogg for you.

Actually, the music is half the filesize, and I only got up to 5 MBs. When voting starts, I think I'll pad it with 15MBs of invisible files. Rasp

Was the file size limit a problem? - Shunter - Nov 29, 2005 07:49 AM

Hey, thanks
No need no trust in anybody else any more Rasp

Was the file size limit a problem? - aarku - Nov 29, 2005 08:25 AM

Shunter Wrote:Hey, thanks
No need no trust in anybody else any more Rasp

The issue was just converting it to the ogg format? Check out this page, then: http://www.vorbis.com/software/#macosx . I thought you were having trouble playing an ogg from within BlitzMax, my mistake.

Was the file size limit a problem? - BeyondCloister - Nov 29, 2005 10:47 AM

It would be interesting to compare comments in this thread with the thread discussing the size limit before the contest started.