iDevGames Forums
Screen release during crash - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Programming Fundamentals (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Screen release during crash (/thread-4805.html)

Screen release during crash - akb825 - Nov 12, 2005 11:21 PM

OS X used to release the screen I have captured in my game if I encounter a crash when debugging, but it won't since updating to 10.4.3 and XCode 2.2. I'm not sure which update broke it, however. Since debug settings have caused some problems before with testing, I was wondering if anybody knew if one could be causing this behavior. It certainly would be nice to not have to hard reset every time my game crashed... Mad (not to mention the lack of a crash report...)

Screen release during crash - OneSadCookie - Nov 12, 2005 11:35 PM

Xcode 2.2 automatically attaches the debugger to your app when it crashes. You'll need to turn that setting off.

Screen release during crash - maaaaark - Nov 13, 2005 12:43 AM

this is one thing i kinda like about windows. fellow programmers get to debug with a fullscreen game on one screen, and their debugger on another screen Sad

Screen release during crash - Skorche - Nov 13, 2005 01:02 AM

You can do remote debugging if you have a second computer. If that's what you mean.

Otherwise you're out of luck. I don't think you can capture only one display in OSX. How would that work anyway?

Screen release during crash - akb825 - Nov 13, 2005 02:10 AM

You actually can screen capture only one display, but I don't want to use the debugger. I've always been able to find my problems easily enough without it (and I've had some bad problems before).

Thanks for the info. Now I finally don't have to do 20 hard resets a minute to find a problem, not to mention the lack of a crash report. Mad