iDevGames Forums
1st Gen issues? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: iPhone, iPad & iPod Game Development (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: 1st Gen issues? (/thread-485.html)

1st Gen issues? - Madrayken - Dec 28, 2009 04:06 AM

Hi folks,

I've had reports that Flaboo! won't work on iPod 1st gen. I have a 2nd gen iPod as my dev machine, and can't verify the issue.

I'm sure I'm being a muppet, somehow, but I'm not entirely sure how to fix this, or even if it is fixable. Can anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks, and happy holidays to you all!

1st Gen issues? - Skorche - Dec 28, 2009 09:08 AM

It might help if you mentioned what was wrong with it.

1st Gen issues? - Madrayken - Dec 28, 2009 09:26 AM

I wish I had more information myself. The problem was simply that the customer had a 1st gen iPod and after buying the game simply couldn't get it to install after they downloaded it. If you look in iTunes, the link states that the game is only compatible with iPhone/iPod 2nd gen and above.

The thing I don't quite understand is what would be involved in making my game compatible with 1st gen, what OS version I would have to build for, etc. So, to clarify:

1) Can you put 3.x OS onto iPhone 1st generation?
2) If 1) is 'yes', what would make a game incompatible with 1st Gen?

Again, any help appreciated. If I've missed some obvious documentation, I'm happy to do the research if someone can point me in the right direction.

1st Gen issues? - Skorche - Dec 28, 2009 09:57 AM

Does it need a microphone or bluetooth?

1st Gen issues? - Frank C. - Dec 28, 2009 11:51 AM

Madrayken Wrote:...If you look in iTunes, the link states that the game is only compatible with iPhone/iPod 2nd gen and above.
When you submit an app there's a section where it asks which devices are supported. You have to specifically pick the option that includes 1st gen iPods. As Skorche implied you also need to ensure you're not using features that aren't present on 1st gen hardware, but requiring OS 3.x is fine.

For games or anything else where performance is important I'd really recommend picking up an old 1st gen iPod for some direct testing. They're way slower than the newer devices and often require special treatment.

1st Gen issues? - Madrayken - Dec 29, 2009 03:54 AM

Frank C. Wrote:When you submit an app there's a section where it asks which devices are supported. You have to specifically pick the option that includes 1st gen iPods. As Skorche implied you also need to ensure you're not using features that aren't present on 1st gen hardware, but requiring OS 3.x is fine.

For games or anything else where performance is important I'd really recommend picking up an old 1st gen iPod for some direct testing. They're way slower than the newer devices and often require special treatment.

Lovely. Thanks for the answer, Frank. I guess I'm doing some eBay shopping...