iDevGames Forums
A CRAZY game idea! - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Design (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: A CRAZY game idea! (/thread-4955.html)

A CRAZY game idea! - stevejohnson - Oct 1, 2005 08:41 PM

I'd call it "the real-life assassin game." It's based on someting I read in DmWiki.

Okay, so you've got a small handheld device, which connects via USB to a computer and has a single button on it. Every day, you plug it into your computer. It allows you to select a location which may be as broad as Chicago or as specific as your office building. Then it feeds your little device the ID number of someone else's little device.

When you get within, say, 50 meters of them, it starts to beep softly/slowly. Then, as you get closer, it gets louder/faster. When you get within 10 feet of them and press the button, they get "killed" and lose a point in the online rankings.

The catch is...they'll be doing the same thing for you. There will be a different, less noticeable beep to alert you of *your* assassin, and if you press your button before they get within, say, 15 feet of you, they're the one who gets "killed." So there are advantages to being both.

There it is, take it or leave it. Just a random thought I had today. I have no plans to execute it, because it would require actual building, plus a bunch of people.

A CRAZY game idea! - unknown - Oct 2, 2005 02:34 AM

I read somewhere people set up some gps systems and cycled about with laptops playing 'real life' tron lightcycles.

A CRAZY game idea! - Volte - Oct 2, 2005 03:44 AM

ROFL!! Kinda like... LARPING? only... Live, Action, Tron...ing.

A CRAZY game idea! - unknown - Oct 2, 2005 04:58 AM

Yeah just like LARPING!
They had maps on thier laptops and when you cycle into a barrier you imagine cool 3D graphical effects.

A CRAZY game idea! - Dark Helmet - Oct 8, 2005 06:54 PM

I think there was a Pac Man game like that in Japan. It had a headset, and some kind of sensor device (echolocation maybe?) The headset, which looked like a set of Splinter Cell goggles, had a screen in it, which added the dots and ghosts to the landscape around you. Not sure how well it sold

A CRAZY game idea! - unknown - Oct 8, 2005 07:56 PM

Woah!! A prototype of visual augmentation. A futreologist at a nanotechnogy conference I went to was talking about things like that. He mentioned that there will be too much information in the futre for us to take in, so we need to sheild ourselfs from it. I disagreed.

A CRAZY game idea! - PowerMacX - Oct 8, 2005 09:06 PM

Futurologist

See, that's a really nice profession! No one can prove that you are just making stuff up... Rasp

A CRAZY game idea! - EvolPenguin - Oct 9, 2005 04:23 PM

Problem with the game idea: What if noone in your area plays so theres noone to assasinate?

Can you just walk up to random people and be like "HAH, YOU'RE DEAD, WOO, 1 MORE POINT FOR ME"

Alex

A CRAZY game idea! - ccccc - Jan 16, 2006 02:01 PM

yea, its like you buy this 50 buck device, you turn it on, it chooses someone who happens to be in china Rasp

A CRAZY game idea! - Byron Clarke - Jan 19, 2006 04:25 PM

Wait, if it beeps when you're 10 meters from someone and they're also 10 meters from you. Won't it just become a contest of who can press the button faster?

A CRAZY game idea! - Shunter - Jan 19, 2006 06:31 PM

Quote:Wait, if it beeps when you're 10 meters from someone and they're also 10 meters from you. Won't it just become a contest of who can press the button faster?

Slightly reminicent of many FPS games....

A CRAZY game idea! - Duane - Jan 19, 2006 06:46 PM

haha. good point.

A CRAZY game idea! - Marjock - Jan 28, 2006 04:55 AM

Quote:Problem with the game idea: What if noone in your area plays so theres noone to assasinate?

Can you just walk up to random people and be like "HAH, YOU'RE DEAD, WOO, 1 MORE POINT FOR ME"

You can't kill randoms, that's murder, not assassination. And as for lack of people, you suffer that with other multiplayer games, too.

Quote:yea, its like you buy this 50 buck device, you turn it on, it chooses someone who happens to be in china

He already set you'd be able to choose the range in which the person was :-)

Surely somebody can pimp a DS to do this? :-D

-Mark