iDevGames Forums
Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk (/thread-5119.html)

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Byron Clarke - Aug 28, 2005 12:14 AM

I am learning the terminal and do not know how to do this:

access the directories of my hard disk from the terminal
eg: cd /MacintoshHD/Games/

can this be done and if so how can I do it?

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Byron Clarke - Aug 28, 2005 12:20 AM

*does it 5 seconds later*

man I'm such a meathead Blink

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Andrew - Aug 28, 2005 06:29 PM

Also, if you have several different partitions and/or drives, look in /Volumes

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Byron Clarke - Aug 28, 2005 08:45 PM

Another stupid question

how do you represent spaces when searching through directories?

open /games/Mine Swept/

opens at /games/Mine:

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - OneSadCookie - Aug 28, 2005 08:47 PM

open /games/Mine\ Swept/

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - blobbo - Aug 28, 2005 08:53 PM

If you hate doing that, and you're using Bash as your shell (10.3 and above, or manually configured below), just hit tab to autocomplete.

for instance, type "open /games/Min(TAB)" and it will fill in the rest. Very handy.

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - PowerMacX - Aug 28, 2005 09:21 PM

Of course, if the folder is already visible in the Finder, just drag it to the Terminal window, it will paste its path.

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - codemattic - Aug 28, 2005 09:44 PM

Also fyi you can drag any file or folder on top of the terminal window and Terminal.app will insert the full path.

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Byron Clarke - Aug 28, 2005 09:49 PM

neato, thanks guys

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Malarkey - Aug 28, 2005 10:18 PM

Byron Clarke Wrote:Another stupid question

how do you represent spaces when searching through directories?

open /games/Mine Swept/

opens at /games/Mine:

Hey, that's my game. Smile

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - akb825 - Aug 29, 2005 12:02 AM

Or you can put the path in quotes, and you won't have to escape the spaces.

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Byron Clarke - Aug 29, 2005 01:29 AM

-malarkey-

lol my shareware $ is still in the mail :-) great job with the app. I have one complaint though (a small bug in the program maybe)

when you flag all of the mines, you still have to click all of the spaces before it acknowledges the win. adds a lot of time if you're going for the high score.

other than that its perfect

Terminal use question - how to access directories start from the hard disk - Malarkey - Aug 29, 2005 07:08 AM

Byron Clarke Wrote:-malarkey-

lol my shareware $ is still in the mail :-) great job with the app. I have one complaint though (a small bug in the program maybe)

when you flag all of the mines, you still have to click all of the spaces before it acknowledges the win. adds a lot of time if you're going for the high score.

other than that its perfect

Really? Blink I'm pretty sure that's not the case since I have code specifically in there to check when you have all the mines flagged and to end the game right there. I'll check it out, though.

Edit: Nope, you're right. It's a bug. Good catch. Smile

Edit: Oh wait, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Smile The reason it's that way is because if the game ends when you correctly flag all the mines without revealing all the squares, it becomes easy to cheat the last mine by marking and unmarking mines until the game ends.