iDevGames Forums
Big poll on FPS sub-genres - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Design (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Big poll on FPS sub-genres (/thread-5282.html)

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - aarku - Jul 17, 2005 07:12 PM

For the three people here who don't visit slashdot,

http://slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=1295&aid=-1

Currently Multiplayer Team FPS' are in the lead. It's what I voted for, as I loved playing the old CounterStrike so much with friends.

Now, what are some FPS genres that have been looked over, here?

-Jon

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - unknown - Jul 17, 2005 09:10 PM

Make that 4, I didnt vote because theres no option for Got bored of fps because there too simple and rubbish.

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - Skorche - Jul 17, 2005 09:32 PM

Make that 5, I voted for Single Player Strategy. Absolutely loved Deus Ex. It's the only reason I keep OS9 around on my system.

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - unknown - Jul 18, 2005 12:09 AM

My fave was Q3 cos I found this ModSDK for X and made the railgun reflect of walls and it was sooo funny, shooting down corridors annihilating eveyone.

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - JustinFic - Jul 18, 2005 12:39 AM

Marathon! Rasp

After that, Q3Test. Not Quake 3, Q3Test. It rocked when it was all Mac users. Seriously- 1 model, 2 maps, half the guns, and it ruled. Plus everyone on Cox Cablemodem here in Vegas was considered to be on the same LAN. Bliss.

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - unknown - Jul 18, 2005 01:19 AM

Q3Test, never saw that. Sounds pretty cool though more like a community where you kill your friends instead of complete strangers LOL

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - sealfin - Jul 18, 2005 03:56 AM

Voted for single player strategy, as although I loved the original Dark Forces, and Marathon Infinity, I loved Deus Ex more! Now, if only System Shock 2 had been released for the Mac...

@unknown: Q3Test was the first public beta of Quake 3, and also made a litle history, and stirred up a lot of emotion, by being released first for the Mac.

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - aarku - Jul 18, 2005 08:22 AM

One thing that may be interesting in an FPS is the notion that you are not necessarily good at using a particular weapon. There are RPGs with "learn by using" skill systems that may be interesting to mix in. They have measures to prevent skill spamming from working and the system eventually peaks itself out. (If there is no challenge, you don't learn in the system) Now that starts to get out of the genre.

So what FPS ideas are left? The genre seems pretty done to death from the surface, but there has to be a gooey nougat of originality in there somewhere..

-Jon

Big poll on FPS sub-genres - funkboy - Jul 18, 2005 09:06 AM

JustinFic Wrote:Marathon! Rasp

After that, Q3Test. Not Quake 3, Q3Test. It rocked when it was all Mac users. Seriously- 1 model, 2 maps, half the guns, and it ruled. Plus everyone on Cox Cablemodem here in Vegas was considered to be on the same LAN. Bliss.

Agreed on both counts. On my 333 MHz G3... ooh was that good times.