iDevGames Forums
Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Design (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! (/thread-5400.html)

Pages: 1 2

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Andrew - Jun 17, 2005 07:53 AM

I just saw the GDC video of Will Wrights' presentation on his new title, "Spore". If you haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

This has to be the most original/creative/elaborate games I've ever seen. The idea of procedural content creation is wicked. Will Wright is a total super-genius!

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - DavidJJ - Jun 17, 2005 08:27 AM

Agreed! The official site is here and it's once again a tremendously cool concept from Will Wright. This one won many awards at the latest E3 show.

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Dan Potter - Jun 17, 2005 08:35 AM

Obligatory Penny Arcade reference Smile

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-05-27&res=l

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Andrew - Jun 17, 2005 09:56 AM

^ LOL

lalalala... minimum message length...

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - sealfin - Jun 17, 2005 01:54 PM

Sorry, but it seems a little like Will Wright's Daikatana; nothing which hasn't been done before, albeit before on a more limited scale – which isn't to say it can't be good...

(/me reminds himself to go take a look at Republic...)

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Najdorf - Jun 17, 2005 02:16 PM

I'll never play the game but the flash intro was nice...

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Leisure Suit Lurie - Jun 17, 2005 08:50 PM

Cool as it is, it lacks two elements necessary for the coolest game ever: big boobs and kung fu.

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - lightbringer - Jun 17, 2005 10:03 PM

I love it, the only thing I'm concerned with is the fun-factor when games get out to the universe scale. Supposedly he mentioned there where emerge a bunch of mini-games or something, I'm not seeing that.

Otherwise it's one of the coolest and innovative game demonstrations I've seen in a while.

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - geezusfreeek - Jun 18, 2005 02:02 PM

lightbringer Wrote:Supposedly he mentioned there where emerge a bunch of mini-games or something, I'm not seeing that.

I think he was saying "meta-games." I got the idea that he just meant that it was far more open-ended by that point, less trying to develop your own race and more establishing connections with / destroying / whatever other races on other planets in other systems.

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Blorx2 - Jun 18, 2005 04:29 PM

Spore looks awesome. My question is, are we guaranteed a Mac version?

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Andrew - Jun 18, 2005 05:37 PM

Blorx2 Wrote:My question is, are we guaranteed a Mac version?

Well, Will Wright started coding on an Apple II, and The Sims series was released for Mac, so I'm sure it will be. I just hope his team does the development on the Mac version instead of having another company (e.g. Aspyr) port it.

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - blobbo - Jun 19, 2005 09:35 AM

I just watched the whole 1h presentation, and was absolutely riveted. A few thoughts:

1) Will Wright is a very, very funny man, and an excellent speaker. I'd love to have him teach me a class.
2) "The cost of content" business really struck a note with me. Especially for an independent developer, the scariest thing often isn't the coding, but rather the art/music/content.
3) Spore looks very, very cool, and very, very fun. I wonder at the wisdom of blending the rts with the third person monster game in the beginning, but it's a neat concept. I agree that I thought that after i had conquered my solar system I'd start to get a bit bored...
4) The dynamic content download system looks pretty neat. I immediately started wondering how many games this could be applied to, and it didn't seem like a very exclusive list...

I think we, as developers, should start thinking more about integrating our private content tools into the game as *part* of the game. This is an incredible idea, and obviously one that Will Wright is going to profit hugely from...

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - DavidJJ - Jun 20, 2005 01:09 PM

Blorx2 Wrote:Spore looks awesome. My question is, are we guaranteed a Mac version?

ROTFL
Rolleyes

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - Carlos Camacho - Mar 10, 2006 06:58 PM

I just got viewed the presentation video on Spores -- I'm floored!

I never thought I would want to play a game so much as this one.

Video --> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=spore

Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever! - igame3d - Mar 10, 2006 10:28 PM

Will Wright's Spore Presentation

Carlos Camacho Wrote:I never thought I would want to play a game so much as this one.

If I can script Spore then this is the game I've always wanted to play,
its what I have always wanted a to do with a computer, in one package.
Wow.