iDevGames Forums
Is there still a market for 2D games? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Is there still a market for 2D games? (/thread-5723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Is there still a market for 2D games? - Taxxodium - Mar 24, 2005 05:41 AM

Hey,

With the current hype of 3D games, I was wondering if it's still a good idea to make 2D games. I really mean real 2D games, not 2D games with a 3D effect or 2.5D.

What do you guys think?

Is there still a market for 2D games? - BeyondCloister - Mar 24, 2005 06:30 AM

Of course there is a market still for non 3D games.

It is like saying is there still a market for books after the arrival of film.

Is there still a market for 2D games? - sealfin - Mar 24, 2005 06:58 AM

I'd hope so, as I'm working on three at the moment Rasp

Is there still a market for 2D games? - belthaczar - Mar 24, 2005 07:21 AM

sealfin Wrote:I'd hope so, as I'm working on three at the moment Rasp

That sounds like 6 dimensions to me.

Is there still a market for 2D games? - Steven - Mar 24, 2005 07:22 AM

If I buy a game it's not going to be because it's 3D or 2D, it will be because it's fun to play.

Is there still a market for 2D games? - Dr. Light - Mar 24, 2005 08:06 AM

belthaczar Wrote:That sounds like 6 dimensions to me.

2^3=8

I am figuring right?

Is there still a market for 2D games? - Taxxodium - Mar 24, 2005 08:10 AM

Dr. Light Wrote:2^3=8

I am figuring right?

No, 3 games in 2D, ie 3*2 = 6

So basically, as long as you have a good story and a fun game, it doesn't really matter in what dimension your game is in.
How far can you go with eye candy?

Is there still a market for 2D games? - kodex - Mar 24, 2005 08:13 AM

yay! does anyone remember 4d Boxing? Im still wondering where the time travel played in.

Is there still a market for 2D games? - Dr. Light - Mar 24, 2005 09:11 AM

Never mind. I was thinking of something else. Along the lines of coordinates and whatnot

Is there still a market for 2D games? - CarbonX - Mar 24, 2005 07:26 PM

there's certainly a market for 2D games... unfortunately so many people are swayed by eye candy *cough* Halo to really bother. I could care less about graphics as long as it's fun to play

Is there still a market for 2D games? - Dan Potter - Mar 24, 2005 08:22 PM

This is just IMO, but I think Mac games are the very best place to do 2D. People like little desktop time wasters quite a lot (just ask my wife while she's trying to study for finals). For the time wasters, 2D is as good as or better than 3D because they run anywhere and the game play is typically simpler. When you really sit down to Play a Game™ at a console or what not, you're paying a lot more attention to all the graphics and details, so it makes more sense for it to be more flashy (and 3D is one way to achieve that).

So why Mac? Because it's a desktop system with not a lot of time wasters installed by default, and people still download and buy stuff for it. A lot of people are afraid to download Windows stuff now because of spyware and trojans. That unfortunate aspect of Windows is probably coming to OSX sooner or later*, so take advantage of the lack of it now Wink

* Yes, I know it's harder to do that crud under OSX. But Apple makes the system's main user an admin by default (which gives access to a lot of stuff already), and root is only a password away. How many times have you been approached by a family member to "help me install this screen saver my friend sent me"? Smile

Is there still a market for 2D games? - funkboy - Mar 24, 2005 09:46 PM

Dan, that reasoning is great and I agree. The Mac is an operating system that people use to get things done, not just play a big intense game - but a little time-waster is something a lot of professionals still like to own.

Price, easy of download/installation/play, and fun atmosphere are, I think, the most important ingredients. The $30 shareware market on Mac is pretty small... I think $15 is pretty close to the sweet spot right now. And for 2D - my 2D shareware games still get sold at a decent rate. (they sell for $15 and $18)

Is there still a market for 2D games? - BinarySpike - Mar 24, 2005 11:05 PM

Taxxodium Wrote:I was wondering if it's still a good idea to make 2D games. I really mean real 2D games, not 2D games with a 3D effect or 2.5D.

Depends on what you mean by "2D games with a 3D effect".

If you meant 2D games like Lolo III; probebly not.
But if you meant games like Kill Dr. Cote; YES!!!!!

I'm a fan of 2D games that have textures that were rendered in a 3D modeler.
I'm entrering one in udg 2005 (but my next game will have to be 3D for my resume).

Is there still a market for 2D games? - skyhawk - Mar 25, 2005 03:49 AM

kodex Wrote:yay! does anyone remember 4d Boxing? Im still wondering where the time travel played in.
do not say such irrational things such as the fourth dimension is time...

anyways, andrew said it best. 2D will not be going anywhere as long as people want it.

Is there still a market for 2D games? - BeyondCloister - Mar 25, 2005 04:00 AM

skyhawk Wrote:do not say such irrational things such as the fourth dimension is time...

Of course the fourth dimension is time and space is the fifth dimension. Can you tell it is only a day to go now? Wink