iDevGames Forums
Free (LGPL) Skeletal Animation lib - Animadead - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Tools & Technology (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Free (LGPL) Skeletal Animation lib - Animadead (/thread-5896.html)

Free (LGPL) Skeletal Animation lib - Animadead - kelvin - Feb 8, 2005 10:46 AM

Anyone know much about this project? It recently released 2.0.
Features [from the website] include:
*Maya exporter plugin
*No dependancies
*written in C++
*LGPL free

Animadead - Skeletal Animation Lib

Free (LGPL) Skeletal Animation lib - Animadead - PowerMacX - Feb 8, 2005 08:45 PM

kelvin Wrote:It recently released 2.0.

Hmm... well, the first release was 0.7 (March 7th '04), followed by 0.7.1 (a week later) and then 2.0 (!) (February 4th '05) Huh
SF Development Status: 3 - Alpha

F.A.Q., Documentation and Tutorials are "Under Construction." Shock ...

On the other hand, Cal3D , is at version 0.9/0.10... with FAQ, Tutorials, Documentation and has a Developer Status of 4 - Beta, 5 - Production/Stable.

Wink

Free (LGPL) Skeletal Animation lib - Animadead - johnb003 - Feb 14, 2005 04:31 PM

PowerMacX Wrote:Hmm... well, the first release was 0.7 (March 7th '04), followed by 0.7.1 (a week later) and then 2.0 (!) (February 4th '05) Huh
SF Development Status: 3 - Alpha

F.A.Q., Documentation and Tutorials are "Under Construction." Shock ...

On the other hand, Cal3D , is at version 0.9/0.10... with FAQ, Tutorials, Documentation and has a Developer Status of 4 - Beta, 5 - Production/Stable.

Wink

Ok, as the author, allow me to defend the library.

First of all, yes, the library was released a year ago, and then the next revision shortly after, and then suddenly a year later it's 2.0. What happened was actually after that second release, I was working on it, but I didn't get to the point where I wanted to release a new version, about this time, my hard-drive crashed and I lost focus on the project, but I had not forgotten it. Then around December I picked up the project again but this time I revised the method Animadead uses, to make it more efficient, more accurate, have more features, and be more suitable for vertex shaders. My first versioning was related to a percentage complete, but when I completely changed the way it worked, it no longer fit on the same scale of completeness, 1.0 would not be appropriate because it's so different it's not really the complete first attempt, so I went with 2.0 and the versioning will now be related to changes rather than completeness.

At the time of 0.7.1 the development status was beta, but I've degraded it to alpha because this new release is untested. However, that's not to say it's not better. I'm much happier with 2.0, and I think if you take a look, you will find it to be a quality library.

I have not yet written the complete documentation for the library, as it is essentially the first release of its kind. Cal3D is admittedly much more mature, however, I was unhappy with the results of Cal3D when I started the project and found it difficult to work with. My goal is to make the interface for Animadead easy to use and I will definitely listen to what people are saying about it and do everything I can to make it better.

I've heard very little feedback on the project since the release last Friday, but here is a comment from GameDev.net:
Quote:This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. After looking at both, Animadead is much more concise and the code is easier to read and follow. I haven't compiled the demo for animadead yet; I've only looked at the source, so my opinion is based soley on the source. I've found Caly3D to be too convoluted to really understand the flow of logic. Caly has too much inheritance for my taste. To understand what a class does you have to backtrack through lots of spaghetti code. I've found it easier to start from scratch than to try to understand that library. Animadead is a nice alternative. It seems to be very lightweight and easy enough to undestand that even I can follow it's flow of logic. There is one downside to both however, and that is that they lack any helpfull source code comments. The comments they provide are only a "line" scale. When learning a new library of code I find it easier to understand when its commented on a "function" and "object" scale. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give Caly3d a 2, and Animadead a 4.
-Eric Coleman
Original post here.

After hearing this, I immediately began updating the source documentation to be more functional and expect a revised release very soon.

Also, I would like to point out, when I wrote the news for release 2.0 on the front page, I wrote any corresponding documentation. So there are SOME docs, though minimal. Also, there is an example program that shows how to use the library. I'm very active on the project right now and would be happy to answer any questions.

One more thing, from my recent comparisons to Cal3D, Animadead and Cal3D are very much alike, but the key differences I've noticed are that Animadead started from Maya, and Cal3D started with 3DS MAX, and they are both crossing the line. Cal3D uses a ratio-based blend for mixing multiple animations together, while Animadead uses a hierarchical blending technique (which I obviously have a biased favoritism for).

I hope this has been helpful,

`John