iDevGames Forums
8,000 triangle limit in animator help... - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: 8,000 triangle limit in animator help... (/thread-5951.html)

8,000 triangle limit in animator help... - PS2gamrfreak - Jan 20, 2005 05:54 PM

hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a 3D program, where i can take a mesh that has 0ver 32,000 polgons, 64,000edges, and over 32,000 vertexes and size down the model to fit the 8,000 triangle limit. I have Wings3D, but i don't know how to make the model's triangles less...does anyone know a free program around where i can do this.

thanks

8,000 triangle limit in animator help... - Shivers - Jan 20, 2005 06:27 PM

I don't own or know Wings 3D, but I'm sure there is a way to reduce triangles. In Cinema 4D, I switch into points mode after finishing the model and look for points that could be deleted without seriously effecting the shape of the model. I delete these points and reconstruct the polygons that referenced it using preexisting and necessary points. After deleting all of the points you see fit, I switch into polygon mode where I look for places where the poly's could be rebuilt to be more efficient (have less poly's total). Again, reconstruct the polygons. If the model still has too many polygons, repeat the process but be more willing to sacrifice your beautiful shape. It is a necessary evil, but evil indeed.

8,000 triangle limit in animator help... - igame3d - Jan 20, 2005 06:30 PM

Sorry to say there are no free programs to do polygon reduction.
There certainly is a market for a low priced shareware app that does only that.
C4D and LightWave have poly-reduction tools, but they cost , oh the equivalent of about 4 ounces of gold (at least).

Blender has a "decimator" function, it might help, or it might make a mess, but since blender is free, its worth a try. I just read about it on a forum, so I can't tell you how to do it. But I can suggest, reduced by 10% and save the model, reimport, and reduce some more. That way if the model turns to total crap at some point you can go back to a decent state and reduce less, until you have optimal reduction with minimal destruction.

8,000 triangle limit in animator help... - PS2gamrfreak - Jan 21, 2005 01:22 PM

blender won't let me download....

8,000 triangle limit in animator help... - PowerMacX - Jan 22, 2005 03:30 AM

OpenTeddy can do a good job in polygon reduction, but it can only import/export a VERY specific/basic OBJ format (relative indexes, if I remember correctly)