iDevGames Forums
open gl shading language - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: open gl shading language (/thread-6009.html)

open gl shading language - brtnrdr - Dec 28, 2004 10:25 PM

hey,

i've been trying to figure out if the open gl shading language (glsl from now on) is supported in os x. i googled it and saw that open gl 1.5 is supported on some high end nvidia cards and high end ati cards, glsl is an extension in ogl 1.5, so does anyone know if glsl is an extension now?

thank you.

open gl shading language - feelgood - Dec 29, 2004 01:57 AM

Wait until Tiger. There are no (current) plans to implement GLSL under Panther.

open gl shading language - TomorrowPlusX - Dec 29, 2004 07:36 AM

Is there *any* confirmation of GLSL under tiger? I mean, it seems to me that CoreImage implies the presence of GLSL, or something a lot like it, but I haven't heard anything at all from Apple.

open gl shading language - OneSadCookie - Dec 29, 2004 03:10 PM

CoreImage kernels are written in the CIKernel language, "a derivative of the OpenGL Shading Language". Read into that what you want...

10.3.6+ include a GLSL parser. If you ignore the lack of the ARB_shading_language_100 extension, and call the GLSL functions anyway, you'll get genuine syntax errors and such, but GLSL programs never affect rendering.

open gl shading language - Fenris - Dec 29, 2004 04:28 PM

As for the CIKernel, that's a stripped down version of GLSL hidden behind a layer of API. It isn't GLSL, but it uses it. So, I guess support for it is seeping in, but don't expect full compatibility until Mac OS X 10.5 - Garfield. (Or whatever they'll call it)

open gl shading language - ThemsAllTook - Dec 29, 2004 07:21 PM

Fenris Wrote:Mac OS X 10.5 - Garfield. (Or whatever they'll call it)

It'll be called Lion, according to what I've heard.

- Alex Diener

open gl shading language - feelgood - Dec 29, 2004 08:17 PM

Quote:...don't expect full compatibility until Mac OS X 10.5 - Garfield. (Or whatever they'll call it)
WTF does this come from? I guarantee you that Mac OS 10.4 will have GLSL support out of the box... Assuming you have the HW to support it.

open gl shading language - arekkusu - Dec 29, 2004 10:53 PM

There is no public confirmation of GLSL in Tiger, and ADC members can't confirm or deny what is in the seeds, so don't bother asking about it yet.

open gl shading language - OneSadCookie - Dec 30, 2004 02:15 AM

Completely useless speculating, since anyone who might be able to confirm or deny wouldn't be allowed to.

As for needing the hardware to support it, a conformant GLSL implementation must be able to run all valid shaders, so there will have to be a software fallback -- why wouldn't that be available to non-capable hardware?

And this is Apple we're talking about, so whenever it does become available, the time it becomes usable is at least two years beyond then (c.f. ARB_vertex_program -- introduced 10.2.0; not yet stable enough to be usable. Good luck to whoever's porting Doom III).

All we can say is, it's being worked on, given the state of it in 10.3.6 compared to earlier. If you want it now or soon, get a PC. If you want it without Windows, get an NVidia card in a Linux PC.