iDevGames Forums
Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download (/thread-6242.html)

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - link_jr97 - Sep 16, 2004 12:22 PM

Hi, the last few weeks I've been working on a game but I haven't gotten anywhere with the engine yet because I don't have any graphics to test it with. I could really use some graphics for my 2d rpg that I'm making. I need the tiles to be standard 32*32. I was wondering if somone might know where I could find such a download. if anyone knows of any rescources like this, please tell me. I would really appreciate it.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - Blake - Sep 16, 2004 12:34 PM

i dont know where you could find any images but you may just want to open up a graphics program like photoshop or something and just create a temporary texture, dont expect to wait on the engine development until you have the graphics. I cant tell you how many alphas or betas I have seen that had horrible graphics simply because the artists hadnt finished the graphics yet.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - link_jr97 - Sep 16, 2004 12:46 PM

I never really thought of it that way. You make a good point blake. I think I will do it that way. But if anyone here does know of any rescources like that, i'd still really appreciate it.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - NCarter - Sep 16, 2004 12:57 PM

Check out this site for some pretty good free tilesets.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - link_jr97 - Sep 16, 2004 01:46 PM

hey, thanks for the link Ncarter. It's a big help. I'm already starting to pick out some graphics that I can see being used in my game.
thanks.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - aarku - Sep 16, 2004 04:23 PM

From the site:

Quote:idevgames.com - This site has some kind of unholy Macintosh fetish. As such, it is overly "pretty" with nice rounded corners (so mac-users don't hurt themselves) and an unsettling predilection for tacking the letter 'i' onto the iBeginning of iThings it doesn't iBelong on. Moreover, it has some fantasic graphics. Many of the graphics collections here are licensed for use only in games that are for Macintosh. Some are public domain. Pay attention which you download.

Shock

-Jon

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - NCarter - Sep 16, 2004 04:28 PM

aarku Wrote:From the site...
Oh yeah, I remember Carlos mentioning that a few months ago! I didn't notice that it still said that! LOL

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - Carlos Camacho - Sep 16, 2004 07:48 PM

I sent him a note on that and he said he would "alter" the text. Seems like he didn't. Mad

You need grass, dirt, water tiles?

Go to Photoshop. Fill your tile with green (grass), brown (dirt), blue (water). Then select a lighter shade of the color. Select the Noise filter and apply noise.. Not too much, but enough to add some "texture" to the tile. Boom, done. Easy. Works for sand too.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - NCarter - Sep 17, 2004 12:27 AM

Camacho Wrote:I sent him a note on that and he said he would "alter" the text. Seems like he didn't.
Well, he does warn people to check the license on our downloadable assets before assuming they're free. Wasn't that the reason you wrote to him before?

To be fair, he's completely within his rights to mock us for being Mac users! Wink

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - aaronsullivan - Sep 17, 2004 08:18 AM

Those mac bashing comments are mostly in good fun. It's more like elbow jabbing the guy you are jealous of because he has better assets than you. Don't take it to heart, Carlos. Grin

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - link_jr97 - Sep 17, 2004 06:12 PM

thanks everyone, oh by the way carlos, I actually need alot of tiles for my engine, 110 to be exact. thanks for the tips though, I know they'll come in handy one day.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - Max - Sep 24, 2004 10:08 AM

Where are the iDevGames tilesets anyway?

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - Carlos Camacho - Sep 27, 2004 05:25 PM

On my backups, waiting for the download section to go back online.

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - EvolPenguin - Sep 28, 2004 02:53 PM

I have most of them... If camacho doesn't mind,I can give them to you if you want them for some game.

Alex

Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download - Carlos Camacho - Sep 29, 2004 08:00 AM

No prob here.