iDevGames Forums
SDL & Quicktime - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Graphics & Audio Programming (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: SDL & Quicktime (/thread-6484.html)

SDL & Quicktime - DM6 - Jul 2, 2004 02:18 AM

Can someone help me get off on the right foot with playing back a movie in an SDL (C++) app? Should I render to a textured quad in OpenGL? What if I have a sound channel in my file? Is there another API that connects Quicktime to SDL more directly? I don't have any idea how to even begin trying to read a movie file. Can someone who knows the score with this stuff lend a little sage advice?

-Duncan

SDL & Quicktime - Steven - Jul 2, 2004 07:20 AM

For reading a movie file, there's some sample code on Apple's website, look around...

SDL & Quicktime - Skorche - Jul 2, 2004 10:30 AM

I'm not so sure that you can use Quicktime through SDL. Using SDL_MPEG would probably be a lot easier.

SDL & Quicktime - DM6 - Jul 2, 2004 10:14 PM

Skorche Wrote:I'm not so sure that you can use Quicktime through SDL. Using SDL_MPEG would probably be a lot easier.

I knew there was an library out there that could save me. Thanks man. Sounds nice, but I can't seem to open the RPM package it comes in; I can't find an expander app, and I'm not so hot with the command line. There's so many opensource tools out there that are so helpful; it'd be nice to be able to use them without needing a doctorate in engineering!

-Duncan

SDL & Quicktime - Steven - Jul 4, 2004 08:22 AM

Don't get an RPM on your OS X machine (assuming you're using one)
RPM is usually for RedHat Linux only, unless it's a source archive. Get the sources and compile them yourself. If you must use a RPM, check out rpm2targz