iDevGames Forums
windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Programming Fundamentals (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions (/thread-6622.html)

windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - aarku - Nov 29, 2003 04:02 AM

Hey, I'm using RezLib to handle resolution switching and fading. After my game switches to 640x480 and quits, returning to normal 1024x768 resolution, my iChat buddy list is resized and my friend's Photoshop little toolbar floating window thingies get all moved over. Is there anyway to avoid this?

-Jon

windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - OneSadCookie - Nov 29, 2003 04:36 AM

Don't use RezLib Rasp

aglSetFullScreen and the DrawSprocket routines will capture the screen for you (which is what you have to do to avoid this problem). DrawSprocket isn't entirely perfect in a crash though...

You can switch to one of those APIs, hack the RezLib source code, switch to Mach-O and call CGCaptureAllDisplays yourself, or probably a few other things. Make your choice Smile

windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - arekkusu - Nov 29, 2003 06:04 AM

You could also try sending Ian Ollman bags of money and/or death threats until he fixes his library.

windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - aarku - Nov 29, 2003 02:20 PM

Well there are RezLib functions called AcquireDesktop and ReleaseDesktop, so I tried calling "Acquire" before changing resolutions, and "Release" after switching back. That didn't work, oh well. I don't really feel like changing APIs, so I guess this will just be a "known issue". It happens on a lot of games, anyways. Unless there is some nice juicy source I can just plug right in like RezLib hehe.

-Jon

windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - arekkusu - Nov 29, 2003 11:18 PM

You mean, it happens on a lot of SHITTY games written by LAZY programmers.

Learn to capture the display: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/Quartz_Services_Ref/qsref_main/function_group_2.html

windows getting resized/moved after switching resolutions - aarku - Nov 30, 2003 03:56 AM

Incidently enough, I removed all RezLib related material from my project as I was moving it from CodeWarrior to Xcode today. It was a lot of work getting everything working and compiling, but it is over and I feel relieved.

So looks like I'll be putting in better resolution switching stuff, especially now that I couldn't worry about OS 9 if I wanted to.

-Jon