iDevGames Forums
Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Programming Languages & Scripting (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Flash: Looking for experienced programmers (/thread-6714.html)

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - chronodragon - Oct 1, 2003 04:57 AM

Hello! I'm new here. Actually I don't have a Mac, I program on Windows, but I have always been in love with those computers. I used to have an Apple IIc where i learned programming with basic.

Since Flash is cross-platform, is here any experienced programmer on ActionScript, PHP, PHPObject, MySQL? I'm building an online multiplayer strategy game. I wrote a map editor for the game while creating the graphical engine, you can see a previous version here:

http://www.teleportmedia.com/conquista/Editor.html

Now I'm working on the logic engine, that features a scripting language to take care of game rules, events, etc.

Best wishes!
-Marco

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - Steven - Oct 1, 2003 06:12 AM

What exactly would the PHP be for??

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - chronodragon - Oct 1, 2003 06:55 AM

For communication with the database and loading/saving data files, as well as other session information. You can use PHPObject to join them.

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - Steven - Oct 1, 2003 07:19 AM

If you get anywhere on the game engine (like a playable), I might be tempted to join up on the PHP/MySQL part, although I have no clue what PHPObject is.

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - chronodragon - Oct 1, 2003 07:50 AM

Hey thanks! Grin

Try PHPObject, it's free and you will find it very easy and useful:
http://ghostwire.com/resources/phpobject/

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - ChrisD - Oct 1, 2003 08:23 AM

Quote:Originally posted by chronodragon
Hello! I'm new here. Actually I don't have a Mac, I
-Marco

Nice editor.

Im working on a MMORPG using a flash front end and a
WebObjects/Java + OpenBase back end.

A bit more real time then what you are doing.
At some point it will be up at
http://www.gammacritters.com

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - chronodragon - Oct 1, 2003 09:23 AM

A MMORPG in Flash? Really interesting!! We are making this game turn-based and non-massive, because we didn't realize a way to communicate fastly with the server. Hope we learn lot's of things from this project, and launch something realtime in following versions. If it isn't so much to ask, could you share how are you achieving the communication, or could point out some papers on that. If you need help with the programming, i'm also available... knowledge is all i ask for Cool

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - ChrisD - Oct 1, 2003 11:44 AM

Quote:Originally posted by chronodragon
A MMORPG in Flash? Really interesting!! We are making this game turn-based and non-massive, because we didn't realize a way to communicate fastly with the server. Hope we learn lot's of things from this project, and launch something realtime in following versions. If it isn't so much to ask, could you share how are you achieving the communication, or could point out some papers on that. If you need help with the programming, i'm also available... knowledge is all i ask for Cool

Its a tile based flash engine.

Flash can do normal sockets... or XMLSockets...
basically XML packets over a socket.

You use those for high speed data connections.
These are persistent connections to the server unlike what I think you are doing using web services etc and running through apache...

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - chronodragon - Oct 1, 2003 12:34 PM

HUGE THANKS ChrisD!!! Grin Yes, I know how to use sockets! This changes completely my view about the game. Fortunately I haven't coded the server interface.

Flash: Looking for experienced programmers - Josh - Oct 1, 2003 06:45 PM

Where's AJ?