iDevGames Forums
".max"? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: ".max"? (/thread-7005.html)

".max"? - ERaZer - Jun 16, 2003 04:41 PM

I saw the free game asset news and with it I started searching the net for free 3d game asset, and I've come up with some but like 90% is in .max format, and I have no application to open or convert those.
Is there anyway I could without sticking them over to my friend and let him dust his 3D Studio Max out(he never uses it, he got it somehow and never touched it when he saw the manual!)?

".max"? - Carlos Camacho - Jun 16, 2003 05:06 PM

I asked the same question twice before. Here is what I know....

There are no Mac 3d apps that will read in or export .max files. I really don't know why since many of them will read and write .3ds, which is made by the same company. Unless some app has a plug-in to read .max files, you will indeed need to use 3D Max in order to read the files.

But look to see if the models have .3ds or .dxf versions as I have often found, they do. But I do agree that many nice models are .max only. Sad

I wish AJ would make a .max to <anything> file format convertor... Smile

".max"? - ERaZer - Jun 17, 2003 04:35 AM

Dang, that was what I tought Sad

And my friend doesn't have internet now, and he lives several miles(the real ones, in the metric system you know) away from me... And I'm not even sure he knows where he has the box with the application in it, he sure doesn't have it installed...

".max"? - aleph0 - Jun 29, 2003 09:38 AM

It is very hard to convert .max files as they are essentially big 3DSMax macro files with added resources. The files contain commands + parameters to build a model in Max, not the actual mesh data (like .3ds files.)

So, unless you build a command interpreter for max commands (of which there are quite a few (and then there are the custom plug-ins..)) you won't be able to read a .max file. Writing an exporter for max is easier but you have to have a copy of max ($$$) and a PC to use it.