iDevGames Forums
Using Pygame or Python? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Programming Languages & Scripting (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Using Pygame or Python? (/thread-7011.html)

Using Pygame or Python? - Scoops - Jun 14, 2003 01:18 PM

A while back I remember reading an article about Python and was really interested in seeing it work. I forgot about it and just recently I stumbled across pygame which, at first sight, seems an ideal dev environment.

So far, I have seen very little about it being used but surely someone here uses it or have used it in the past. I need your opinions, is it a good language to use or am I wasting my time in trying? Bear in mind that any programming I have done so far has been in BASIC so is learning a new language like this going to be a nightmare?

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers.

Using Pygame or Python? - OneSadCookie - Jun 14, 2003 05:39 PM

I have to say, I recommend Ruby over Python. Ruby has SDL bindings which work on the Mac, so PyGame isn't really that big of a deal.

That said, if you want to try PyGame you can get some prebuilt binaries for an old version from the PyGame website. My experience is that it doesn't yet build cleanly from source.

If you're interested in Ruby, I can send you the SDL, OpenGL and 3D Math library bindings and a project which sets everything up.

Using Pygame or Python? - stevejohnson - Jun 15, 2003 06:43 AM

What exactly is PyGame? I've played with Python a little, but I've never heard of this.

Using Pygame or Python? - OneSadCookie - Jun 15, 2003 01:25 PM

PyGame is Python bindings for SDL, OpenGL, and a couple of other game-related libraries.

Using Pygame or Python? - Carlos Camacho - Jun 15, 2003 06:19 PM

OSC, is this soemthing (your stuff) that might be good to host here for others? Providing it isn't 400MB in size. Smile

Using Pygame or Python? - OneSadCookie - Jun 15, 2003 07:10 PM

There's not really very much there, it's scarcely worth it. All it really is is prebuilt binaries of the freely-available Ruby libraries, and a Project Builder project & main.c file to tie it all together. The libraries weren't terribly difficult to build, the main.c isn't rocket science, it just seems there's not much point in someone doing it again...