iDevGames Forums
Just a noon who needs help - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Just a noon who needs help (/thread-7918.html)

Just a noon who needs help - Headshotz - Jul 29, 2010 06:05 AM

I'm beginning game development and I have no artistic gifts. I was wondering if anyone knew of a a program where I could make custom characters and buildings etc. Thank you. Smile

RE: Just a noon who needs help - Nobody - Jul 29, 2010 09:38 AM

Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as you're hoping. If you're interested in the artistic side of game development, you're going ot need to spend a good amount of time learning 3D modelling and animation, especially if you want to achieve some of the amazing graphics that are a hallmark of today's AAA game titles.

My suggestions for 3D modelling tools:
Houdini
Autodesk SoftImage
GMax (Basically 3DS Max, but free, though it isn't as extensive)
Blender 3D (free - http://www.blender3d.org)

Granted, I'm not very artistically inclined, so beyond giving some suggestions for modelling tools to use, I won't be of much help.

RE: Just a noon who needs help - Headshotz - Jul 29, 2010 09:43 AM

Yeah I know I have a lot to learn. I saw that video trace posts on here. Do you think if I used that to make a couple of 3 d models If it would help me at all grasping 3d modeling?

RE: Just a noon who needs help - mikey - Jul 29, 2010 12:31 PM

I don't think that videotrace is commercial, I use blender.

There are hundreds of tutorials, and I find this
wiki very useful.

Good Luck!

RE: Just a noon who needs help - Carlos Camacho - Aug 2, 2010 06:24 PM

Have you consider using Google Sketch? There are many models available for you to play with. Grab a model (one that is license free), export it to some usable format, and 'play' further in your modeler of choice. Also, have you consider just using primitives for now?

i.e. Does the tank in your game need to be a fully modeled object? perhaps a flat rectangle can serve for now while you are working on the game mechanics. When you have something playable, you can swap out and use some nice models.

Good way to attract designers as well (ie the playable), because no one will make you models for a game that 'might be made'

There are also many low-cost low-polygon model packs out there.

cheers

RE: Just a noon who needs help - toonbit - Feb 10, 2011 04:23 PM

Start by sketching, a stage that is overlooked by many designers starting out think things have to be done on a computer, go to the stationary store and get some pencils and a 500 pack of printer paper, and start sketching, and throwing away bits of paper.