iDevGames Forums
Source control of .a? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Tools & Technology (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Source control of .a? (/thread-8037.html)

Source control of .a? - bmantzey - Aug 26, 2010 05:38 PM

Greetings all!

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue I'm facing.

To sum it up, the issue is, I can't figure out a way to put a .a file under source control (Subversion).

What I'm trying to achieve is to keep some of my source code hidden from my users while still providing them with a buildable project. What I've been forced to do is manually copy the .a to their computer, which can really become a pain if any code changes in the source of the archived files.

I tried the built-in SCM in Xcode and I tried Versions. Both clients act the same. They will import every other file in the folder, ignore the .a and give no error or indication of any issue. Obviously, when users check out the project, it's going to have linker errors. The repository operates normally in every other way.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

RE: Source control of .a? - Skorche - Aug 26, 2010 06:24 PM

It's probably the tools trying to be "smart" by not importing build products. By default, subversion ignores .a files, though if you add them explicitly using "svn add path/to/file.a" it will add it.

Why do they need to have a buildable project if they don't have the code? Why not just send them the built executable?

RE: Source control of .a? - bmantzey - Aug 26, 2010 09:15 PM

It's iPhone stuff. They are dorks about the provisioning and want to have all the code I write anyway. Plus, all I have to do to submit any changes to them is commit.

The add command you showed me worked like a charm. After typing that into Terminal, the 'A' appeared in the Xcode SCM. Brilliant! Thanks Scorche!!