iDevGames Forums
Math Requirements - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Programming Fundamentals (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Math Requirements (/thread-8254.html)

Math Requirements - UFO! - Oct 30, 2010 10:37 PM

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to programming and such (and to this forums), but I have a strong interest in learning. Someday I hope I can make my own games.

However, as a communications student, I don't really get to see a lot of math (much less programming), so I was wondering, what would I have to learn on math subjects so I can program a game? I know there is a broad spectrum of games, but what I am trying to do is to program a simple game such as those that are on the app store or maybe even flash games.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Grin

P.S.: I read the thread about starting on game development, and I tried to find out what exactly was linear algebra, and I found out it is something entirely new to me. ><

RE: Math Requirements - OneSadCookie - Oct 30, 2010 10:41 PM

Linear algebra will help you, but isn't necessary for a 2D game. You can make a perfectly good 2D game with the basic trigonometry you learned age about 14.

RE: Math Requirements - UFO! - Oct 31, 2010 04:46 PM

Oh, alright, thanks, I'll take that into account.

RE: Math Requirements - skyhawk - Nov 1, 2010 10:30 AM

I would suggest discrete math. I find I use those examples more often than not.

But honestly, the math you need to know depends on what you want to do in programming / game development. Computer science will help you far more than math will.

RE: Math Requirements - mikey - Nov 27, 2010 03:30 PM

Anything which you don't know already is on the internet for you to either learn or copy. P.S. for a simple 2D game there isn't anything really complex like quaternions or anything. Good luck anyway though.

RE: Math Requirements - stevejohnson - Nov 27, 2010 05:52 PM

Agreement with other posters. Evidence: the only math questions I have ever asked on this forum were related to high school-level trigonometry concepts that hadn't been covered in my public school math classes yet.

RE: Math Requirements - Applewood - Nov 28, 2010 03:16 AM

Mikey, you shouldn't be telling people it's easy to learn games programming when even your signature has a stack overflow in it... Wink

RE: Math Requirements - AnotherJake - Nov 28, 2010 09:33 AM

LOL... Mikey's sigs always contain logical errors. I don't think I've ever seen a member who has received more discussion about their sig.

On the math thing: Definitely need to know sin/cos/tan and their inverses, plus you need to know the distance formula. You can pretty much do any 2D game with just those basic math concepts.

RE: Math Requirements - mikey - Dec 2, 2010 09:25 AM

(Nov 28, 2010 09:33 AM)AnotherJake Wrote:  LOL... Mikey's sigs always contain logical errors. I don't think I've ever seen a member who has received more discussion about their sig.

Thanks very much for that.