iDevGames Forums
Name Genders - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Name Genders (/thread-836.html)

Name Genders - Oddity007 - Aug 19, 2009 09:34 AM

For an RPG I need to figure out names that I can use that are real.

I decided on using Sun and Moon for a Girl and a Boy,
I also wanted it to not be that obvious, so I looked for other languages' equivelants (In ASCII char range 32-127).

I have:
Code:
German:
•Sonne-Female
•Mond-Male
Finnish:
•Aurinko-Genderless?
•Kuu-Female
Filipino:
•Araw
•Buwan
Dutch:
•Zon
•Maan
Italian:
•Sole-Male
•Luna-Female

But I don't know which ones are of what gender, I imagine Sonne is a Girl name and Mond is male, but I may be wrong.

I figured that since this is a fairly international group, I could ask here.

Name Genders - AnotherJake - Aug 19, 2009 10:04 AM

Well, in Spanish, Sun and Moon are Sol and Luna. It's El Sol and La Luna (the Sun and the Moon), so Sol is masculine and Luna is feminine. I assume the Italian versions are similar.

Name Genders - funkboy - Aug 20, 2009 08:08 PM

For German, it's die Sonne (feminine article, sun) and der Mond (masculine article, moon).

In general, in German, nouns that end in an "e" are feminine... but that's not true 100% of the time, so look out for that.

http://dict.leo.org is a great website for looking up German words.

Name Genders - DoG - Aug 21, 2009 06:36 AM

In German, you shouldn't take the gender of the word for an indication as to a person of which sex can be called that name, though.

Name Genders - Oddity007 - Aug 21, 2009 09:39 AM

Thanks for all the help with these names, Some research turned up a background for one of the names and it happens to have the meaning I need (even fits concept art, sweet Grin ).

Name Genders - funkboy - Aug 22, 2009 12:18 AM

DoG Wrote:In German, you shouldn't take the gender of the word for an indication as to a person of which sex can be called that name, though.

Very true. Didn't mean to mislead on that, just was pointing out the gender of the nouns.