iDevGames Forums
What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: iPhone, iPad & iPod Game Development (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? (/thread-8451.html)

What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? - monteboyd - Dec 23, 2010 02:14 PM

Hey everybody,

Looks like I'm going to be busy over the holidays with some client work. Specifically I'm in the planning stages of a quiz game which has a potential database of nearly 10,000 questions.

The app is going to need to come with all the questions included, no loading from a web source will be possible. The client will be providing me with Excel files.

So my questions is, what format do you think I should store the data in? This is both a question for how I will read the data in the app, and also how I will convert the data from the supplied excel files into the format I need.

Thanks for any advice!

RE: What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? - SethWillits - Dec 23, 2010 02:41 PM

An SQLite database would definitely work. Open Excel and export to CSV. You can then suck that in and massage into the format you want.

RE: What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? - monteboyd - Dec 23, 2010 02:56 PM

Thanks Seth. I was thinking SQLite might be what I should be researching but didn't want to start if it was the wrong thing. So that clarification helps a lot - cheers! Smile