iDevGames Forums
Start Up Game Studio Help - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Start Up Game Studio Help (/thread-8563.html)

Start Up Game Studio Help - just_ha - Jan 19, 2011 09:45 AM

Hey guys, I want to start a iphone video game project with a few guys from my 3d gaming program. We're just a group of artist, with zero programing and network skills. we are all use to using the unreal engine, and follow standard 3d game production pipeline.We have the concept laid out, but before we can start move forward we need to know what/ who else we will need.

details - its a multiplayer game up to 2-8 players, up to 20 players later on, i believe to achieve this over 3g network we would have to drop 3d design and create 3d pre-render images for the background and pre-render characters, enemys and assets.

-a programmer is needed, is there any other type of professions that's required in developing an iphone game?

-what about a network? how does this work, in order to have a multiplayer game, will we have to start our own server? if so what will i need?

-software, we are all using pc, adobe, 3ds max, etc. but the developers kit is for mac os x only, ive read there's ways around this, what do u guys think? http://iphone-sdk-in-windows.co.uk/

-is there anything else i'm missing, software, hardware, personel?

thanks.

thank you.

RE: Start Up Game Studio Help - OneSadCookie - Jan 19, 2011 10:22 AM

Some version of UE3 exists for iOS (see Infinity Blade). You might want to check if it's licensable yet.

2D/3D has nothing at all to do with network bandwidth. If you can do 20 players in a 2D game, you can do 20 players in the same game with 3D artwork.

You'll need someone to create your audio. Not clear to me if that's one of you.

You have various choices for network architecture, but all of them probably involve running at least one server. Your programmer will decide the network architecture based on the game design, and that will dictate the server requirements.

If you're just doing art, you won't need a Mac (though it could be helpful). Your programmer will, though.

If you're not going to use an existing engine, one programmer is unlikely be able to create what you describe in a short enough time. You may need to let the first programmer pick a second to help.

RE: Start Up Game Studio Help - just_ha - Jan 19, 2011 10:46 AM

If im doing all pre-render images, then i wont need to touch UE3, isnt that what the SDK is for, its a game editor? is there existing engines available for purchase? 2d based?

How can you say 2d/3d has nothing to do with network bandwidth, if you have too many polygons to load plus 20 people playing, its going to create lag?

Audio is covered

So all multiplayer matches that go on, is hosted by our server and the traffic has to go through our network correct? I guess the programmer we hire should know all these details regarding network?

thanks.

(Jan 19, 2011 10:22 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Some version of UE3 exists for iOS (see Infinity Blade). You might want to check if it's licensable yet.

2D/3D has nothing at all to do with network bandwidth. If you can do 20 players in a 2D game, you can do 20 players in the same game with 3D artwork.

You'll need someone to create your audio. Not clear to me if that's one of you.

You have various choices for network architecture, but all of them probably involve running at least one server. Your programmer will decide the network architecture based on the game design, and that will dictate the server requirements.

If you're just doing art, you won't need a Mac (though it could be helpful). Your programmer will, though.

If you're not going to use an existing engine, one programmer is unlikely be able to create what you describe in a short enough time. You may need to let the first programmer pick a second to help.

RE: Start Up Game Studio Help - OneSadCookie - Jan 19, 2011 11:19 AM

The iOS SDK is not a game editor. It is nothing like UDK. There are existing 3rd-party 2D and 3D engines, but I don't think any of them except Unity and possibly UE3 have strong editing tools. Unity may well be a good fit for your team, and it's not absurdly expensive. If you go that way you'll probably only need one programmer, but make sure you get someone with Unity experience.

Polygons are not transmitted over the network. Only a small amount of data regarding player positions and inputs is transmitted. Bandwidth requirements are minimal, but latency requirements are strict.

No, all network traffic for all games does not (necessarily) go through your servers. Your programmer will make the decision (or perhaps, have it made for him by the choice of engine).

RE: Start Up Game Studio Help - just_ha - Jan 19, 2011 11:23 AM

great, thanks for the information.

(Jan 19, 2011 11:19 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  The iOS SDK is not a game editor. It is nothing like UDK. There are existing 3rd-party 2D and 3D engines, but I don't think any of them except Unity and possibly UE3 have strong editing tools. Unity may well be a good fit for your team, and it's not absurdly expensive. If you go that way you'll probably only need one programmer, but make sure you get someone with Unity experience.

Polygons are not transmitted over the network. Only a small amount of data regarding player positions and inputs is transmitted. Bandwidth requirements are minimal, but latency requirements are strict.

No, all network traffic for all games does not (necessarily) go through your servers. Your programmer will make the decision (or perhaps, have it made for him by the choice of engine).