iDevGames Forums
Support GL ES 1.x for new games - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: iPhone, iPad & iPod Game Development (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Support GL ES 1.x for new games (/thread-8769.html)

Support GL ES 1.x for new games - m3xican - Mar 30, 2011 06:32 AM

I've just started to work on a framework for my first iOS game and I was wondering if I should support GL ES 1 or not.

As I'm the only coder working on this project, I'm thinking to drop it and focus on a GL ES 2 renderer only, but I'm new to the iOS world and maybe I'm just understimating the issue.

Any suggestion?

RE: Support GL ES 1.x for new games - Skorche - Mar 30, 2011 06:37 AM

I think the number of devices left in circulation that only support ES1 is dwindling into the single digit percentages. I *think* the last time I saw numbers a few months ago it was like 5% or so, but don't quote me on that.

At this point I'd really say it comes down to what is easier for the project. If it's just a simple 2D project, ES 1 might be simpler, but otherwise go nuts.

RE: Support GL ES 1.x for new games - gnurf - Mar 30, 2011 06:58 AM

Is that percentage because they are disappearing, or because the ES 2.0 devices are selling really well? Wink

RE: Support GL ES 1.x for new games - Skorche - Mar 30, 2011 09:36 AM

I'm guessing that they are being replaced by new ones. I think the stats I saw were from the Flurry analytics (or whatever it was before their merger) website, so it would based on the number of devices still in use.

RE: Support GL ES 1.x for new games - Jake - Mar 30, 2011 02:23 PM

Is it really that low? I'd be curious to see the distribution of devices still out there.

I'm going to transition to ES 2.0 this summer. I'm working on a pinball game in 1.1 now, so by the time I finish that and finish another game the iPhone 5 should start replacing alot of those 3G and 2nd gen iPod touches out there.

RE: Support GL ES 1.x for new games - m3xican - Mar 31, 2011 04:33 AM

A friend of mine confirmed the numbers posted by Skorche and even if a GL ES 1 implementation would be easier, I decided to go for GL ES 2.

Thanks everybody for the replies Smile

RE: Support GL ES 1.x for new games - Skorche - Mar 31, 2011 06:01 AM

I looked on the Flurry blog and couldn't find any recent numbers, though not for lack of trying. They have a ton of statistics on there, but it isn't very well organized.