iDevGames Forums
SDL and FTP - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: iPhone, iPad & iPod Game Development (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: SDL and FTP (/thread-8840.html)

SDL and FTP - SparkyNZ - Apr 14, 2011 05:57 PM

What would be the best way to implement an FTP server on the iPhone when using SDL? I've seen non-SDL code examples floating around for FTP. I'm just trying to get my head around how I would do FTP from an SDL app..

..would I have to branch off and start a typical NSApplication main loop just for the purpose of processing the FTP?

Right now my application starts in a main() function which contains an SDL loop so there's no ObjectiveC code framework being called at all. Would I need an ObjectiveC main loop, or would I be able to implement FTP via my SDL main() easily enough?

Anybody else been down this path? I tried searching but SDL and FTP are under the minimum keyword size of 4 in the Search screen. Smile

Cheers
Sparky

RE: SDL and FTP - OneSadCookie - Apr 14, 2011 07:03 PM

FTP? WTH Rasp

Anyway, no reason why that would interact with SDL at all. Spin off a new thread to act as your server. No reason it would interact with ObjC at all either.

RE: SDL and FTP - SparkyNZ - Apr 14, 2011 07:37 PM

(Apr 14, 2011 07:03 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  FTP? WTH Rasp

Anyway, no reason why that would interact with SDL at all. Spin off a new thread to act as your server. No reason it would interact with ObjC at all either.

That sounds promising. I've only played around with FTP on Windows.. I'm not that familiar with the frameworks/APIs that are available on the iPhone and Mac.. but what you're saying sounds promising. I just have this fear that half of the API calls won't work unless there's a message processing loop of some sort. Smile If you know of any good examples, please do share.. A port of FileZilla server perhaps?

RE: SDL and FTP - OneSadCookie - Apr 14, 2011 10:00 PM

I'm not clear why anybody would ever want FTP; HTTP will be better for most purposes, if for no other reason than that every computer ships with a sane client...

Not to recommend anything in particular, but googling for "cocoa http server" produced a whole bunch of results.

RE: SDL and FTP - SparkyNZ - Apr 14, 2011 10:28 PM

(Apr 14, 2011 10:00 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  I'm not clear why anybody would ever want FTP; HTTP will be better for most purposes, if for no other reason than that every computer ships with a sane client...

I've always been of the mentality that HTTP is typically only for downloading but yeah.. I suppose I have uploaded files via HTTP.

So how would that work.. There'd have to be a webpage on the iPhone which you'd browse to and then upload files from a PC? Hmm.. Needs some research I think. Smile

In the mean time.. I got my FTP server working - much easier than I thought. Smile I'm sure I'll come back to HTTP one day..