iDevGames Forums
API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Tools & Technology (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) (/thread-8940.html)

API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - carmine - May 10, 2011 07:32 AM

Hello All,
I know iOS has GameCenter and a set of API's for doing multiplayer apps. Is there any kind of similar API for desktop Mac Apps?

I realize this would require some kind of centralized system (for authentication etc.)

Any info, links/etc. would be great1

Thanks!

-Carmine

RE: API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - OneSadCookie - May 10, 2011 09:00 AM

Nope Sad

RE: API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - Skorche - May 10, 2011 10:45 AM

Steam? Even without your game being available to buy on Steam, they still have an API that you can hook into to do many of the same sorts of things that GameCenter does right? Achievements and the like.

RE: API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - carmine - May 10, 2011 12:11 PM

(May 10, 2011 09:00 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Nope Sad

Hey!
I was just learning from your glut tutorial this past weekend!

I wonder if there is interest in this sort of thing.

I've been playing around with XNA and some other stuff for a while now, but I figured... the Mac App store is here and there are barely any games for it...

RE: API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - Skorche - May 10, 2011 03:54 PM

And barely any sales for them. Rasp

RE: API for multiplayer for Mac Apps? (non iOS) - Nobody - May 11, 2011 02:56 PM

You might want to look into Kongregate. Their API is only officially distributed as Javascript and ActionScript, but it wouldn't be too difficult to interact through a webview or something similar (or potentially rewrite the library to be native from your language of choice, I haven't really looked into how open their library is).

As far as Skorche's Steamworks suggestion, you have to apply and be approved for it, and I don't believe that it's something that's just handed out to anybody and everybody. Still, it is free, and it's not like it would cause any sort of harm to try.