iDevGames Forums
Help! Kernel panic! - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Help! Kernel panic! (/thread-8948.html)

Help! Kernel panic! - GolfHacker - May 13, 2011 10:59 AM

Hi everybody,

It's been a little while since I've been on the boards. Was very sick with pneumonia for awhile, and then had to deal with a lot of fallout issues from that. And lately I've been working diligently on a new game project.

Anyway, I have a nasty problem with my Mac Pro. This morning I was working away and the screen went black. So I rebooted, and now it won't even boot. I get this error every time I try to boot:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

Using the Shift key to try to get into Safe mode doesn't work. It sits idle for about 2 minutes and then gives me the same error.

I was able to use the D key to get into the hardware diagnostic tool. It reports no hardware problems. I even did the extended memory test. No problems.

I put my Mac OS X install disk in (the one that came with my Mac Pro), and I can't even boot from that. It tries, but eventually gives me the same kernel panic error.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Anyone have any ideas?

RE: Help! Kernel panic! - OneSadCookie - May 13, 2011 11:03 AM

take it to Apple...

RE: Help! Kernel panic! - GolfHacker - May 13, 2011 11:10 AM

Yeah, I've already got a call in to them. Waiting for them to call back...

I was just hoping maybe there was something else I could try. Thanks anyway, tho.

RE: Help! Kernel panic! - Skorche - May 13, 2011 11:46 AM

Sounds like it's definitely a hardware issue. You can at least check the RAM yourself if you have some other RAM to try in it or can just try the pairs one at a time. (DDR still needs to be installed in pairs right?)

Beyond that, try booting in verbose mode by holding command-v when starting up. It shows you the boot console instead of just the Apple logo. You *might* glean something helpful from it, but probably not.

RE: Help! Kernel panic! - GolfHacker - May 13, 2011 05:07 PM

Ok. Just got back from the Apple store. Turns out the video card died. My Mac Pro is 3 years old, and had a NVidia GeForce 8800 GT. Fortunately one of the Apple stores in the county had this exact card (I think it was the last one in the county). I had to drive to the other side of the county to get it, but at least I shouldn't have to tweak any of my virtual machines. Whew!

By the way, thanks Skorche! I did have a chance before I left to do command-v. The last line was something about vmnet. After a quick search on Google, I found someone else that reported the same error, and in his case it was also a bad video card. So that's worth noting here for posterity.